Heating Pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Hello,
So from what I read, heating pads are bad for bearded dragons so I stuck with heat lamps. Well, I just upgraded my gecko's heating mat and I have an extra heating pad. Could I let my bearded dragon use the heating pad if the temperature of it was at something like 90*F?

I was thinking that I could stick it on my desk, put a piece of tile on it, then let my dragon "bask there." She really likes being on my desk because my windows next to it.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as it doesn't overheat and she doesn't come in direct contact it should be OK. The reasoning against the use of heating pads is that they can malfunction and overheat, causing burns. They can also overheat if they don't have airflow underneath them. Dragons also sense and regulate heat from above and can't sense heat well from their bellies (based on what I've read anyway) so it's best to provide heat from above so they can self regulate. I set up clamp lamps with portable basking lights around the house to use as basking spots while they're on the go and that works pretty well.

If you have a bug colony the heat mat may be quite useful for that. I use one for my roach colony.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK I just get a temperature regulator like the one I use for my gecko. If I was going to put a piece of tile on the heating pad how thick should it be?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A thermostat should help keep it within reason. I'm not sure on the tile. They heat by contact so the heat doesn't tend to travel too far. Since they (normally) don't get too hot I'd imagine a thin piece of tile should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom