Hello from New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotttnz

Thought I'd introduce myself as this site has been so helpful while I have been getting ready for the arrival of my first bearded dragon in 2 weeks time.

I am in the process of converting an old entertainment unit to a viv.

Before:
649EB1FA-381C-450A-914D-BF696448A002_zpsvlozseiv.jpg

After:
DB6B3FB3-D4AA-45DD-9F51-7407C44E2B9D_zpsl1klqfs1.jpg

I'm a bit short on time, so as much as I'd like to do the full DIY rock wall etc, I cheated and bought precast schist foam tiles.
85376253-1273-4DCD-A4FE-217150806CE8_zpssygkgwj7.jpg

Still detailing on the wall to do, then substrate (think I'm going with tiles), decorations/basking spot/hide, and lighting to do.

Any suggestions?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, very nice job ! Is the foam very sturdy or can it be easily chipped or broken off ? Just wondering since an adult beardie has very strong claws and they are known for digging/scratching the walls of their tanks. For the cage furniture, are you going with store bought or will you try to make platforms ? I always gather my basking logs from outside....depending on where you live you might find some beautiful logs or driftwood as well as decorative rock. The rocks can be cleaned with hot, soapy water and the wood can be put in a pre-heated 250 degree [ 120 C ] oven for an hour to sterilize them.

If you post this in the enclosure forum you'll probably get more ideas.

Scotttnz

Original Poster
AHBD":304n13yg said:
Wow, very nice job ! Is the foam very sturdy or can it be easily chipped or broken off ? Just wondering since an adult beardie has very strong claws and they are known for digging/scratching the walls of their tanks. For the cage furniture, are you going with store bought or will you try to make platforms ? I always gather my basking logs from outside....depending on where you live you might find some beautiful logs or driftwood as well as decorative rock. The rocks can be cleaned with hot, soapy water and the wood can be put in a pre-heated 250 degree [ 120 C ] oven for an hour to sterilize them.

If you post this in the enclosure forum you'll probably get more ideas.

Thanks.

The background is a lot tougher than standard foam, and it will get a number of coats of non toxic acrylic once the painting is finished, so hopefully it will stand up to a bit of abuse. I have to say it is looking good with some dry brush detailing done.

I have collected a bit of driftwood for the basking spot that will get the oven treatment, but I'm not sure about the hide yet.

The next challenge will be lighting. All the UVB tubes that get recommended here don't seem to be available locally here, so I'll have to improvise.....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks great! Nice work. Which part of New Zealand are you in? You may want to check out one of the Animates stores or their website. I believe they carry Arcadia UVB tubes which are very good. I haven't tested the Reptile One 10.0 lights but I've heard that they're decent as well.

Some of the beaches have a great selection driftwood. I picked up some nice pieces on my last trip along the beach in Hokitika and up on the black sand beach in Whanganui.

Scotttnz

Original Poster
CooperDragon":68md4pwm said:
That looks great! Nice work. Which part of New Zealand are you in? You may want to check out one of the Animates stores or their website. I believe they carry Arcadia UVB tubes which are very good. I haven't tested the Reptile One 10.0 lights but I've heard that they're decent as well.

Some of the beaches have a great selection driftwood. I picked up some nice pieces on my last trip along the beach in Hokitika and up on the black sand beach in Whanganui.

Thanks CooperDragon. I am in Auckland, where there are lots of beaches with plenty of driftwood.

Animates does have Arcadia tubes, but only the 6% ones. Is that enough UVB for a happy and healthy dragon? They seem to be clearing them out at the moment, and I suspect in the future they will only have the Reptile One lights, which I couldn't find any real information on.

What length tube is recommended for a viv 150x60x60 cm? ( I guess thats about 5x2x2 in the old measurements?)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darn. The 6% tube really won't provide adequate output for a sun loving dragon. I wish I had test results for the Reptile One bulbs but since they're what's available, that's what I'd go with. I'd pick up one of the T8 10.0 bulbs and put it in a fixture with a reflector. The 24'' bulb should do. Just mount it over the basking area at about 15-20cm above the highest basking point for optimal output. Be sure to remove any plastic covering the bulb and ensure there is nothing between the bulb and the basking spot that could intercept the UVB rays.

Scotttnz

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1bvg0fcv said:
Darn. The 6% tube really won't provide adequate output for a sun loving dragon. I wish I had test results for the Reptile One bulbs but since they're what's available, that's what I'd go with. I'd pick up one of the T8 10.0 bulbs and put it in a fixture with a reflector. The 24'' bulb should do. Just mount it over the basking area at about 15-20cm above the highest basking point for optimal output. Be sure to remove any plastic covering the bulb and ensure there is nothing between the bulb and the basking spot that could intercept the UVB rays.

Thanks so much for your help. I think I will do as you suggest and get a Reptile One tube for starters, and then I will look into ordering one of the more recognised brands from overseas. I wonder how likely they would be to arrive in one piece if I ordered some form the US?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had mine shipped from Maine and it arrived very well packaged and in good shape. I know the journey to Auckland is much longer but with proper packaging you shouldn't have trouble. You may also want to look into shipping estimates from Swell Reptiles in the UK. I think they ship overseas as well but it might not exactly be a bargain.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wish I had test results for the Reptile One tube bulb but I don't either. Though from what I have heard they are not very strong, so definitely use a reflector for now to help out.
You might try contacting Todd at lightyourreptiles.com to see if he would be willing to ship to Auckland. I would love to visit there!
Your tank conversion looks great, very impressive. :D

Tracie

Scotttnz

Original Poster
Drache613":23grb9w7 said:
Hello,

I wish I had test results for the Reptile One tube bulb but I don't either. Though from what I have heard they are not very strong, so definitely use a reflector for now to help out.
You might try contacting Todd at lightyourreptiles.com to see if he would be willing to ship to Auckland. I would love to visit there!
Your tank conversion looks great, very impressive. :D

Tracie

Thanks Tracie, i'll spend a bit extra on a decent fitting with a good reflector.

I more or less finished the enclosure background last night, with 4 coats of clear satin acrylic. I'm planning to trim and bake the driftwood tonight, and will tackle the lighting, substrate, and other finishing touches over the weekend.

Next week I need to organise food supplies, then I will be ready for the arrival of the dragon :D

Scotttnz

Original Poster
Progress report. Tonight I baked a log. Luckily we have a large oven, it bearly fit, in fact I had to trim it a little more than I planned.

700ADFD4-B8E5-41A4-8A49-A7E1A088CA21_zpsqepcs4jx.jpg

But it fits nicely in the vivarium, which I have finished painting.

45DED210-8A6B-4EF0-B8A5-FF313CD8B567_zps6c2jwu3h.jpg

1EDA2BE8-9572-4976-B139-D7E0FBA3FA6B_zpsmv4qshun.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's beauty. It provides plenty of climbing space and a nice shady hide underneath. That will serve your new buddy very well.

Scotttnz

Original Poster
Thanks cooper and ahbd. I'm really happy with the driftwood. I just want to trim it a bit so it sits more securely. As it is right now it may rock a bit if an adult dragon were to climb on it.

I got the lights today.
CFD3CFB9-D314-49D4-928D-C5F7007C66AE_zpstyi3uzcx.jpg

currently a 40W spot, 36" Reptile One UVB 10.0, and a small LED bulb to add some additional light at the cool end.

AA5E9947-3119-4FDA-A356-3B66AF68446C_zpshdeepvvf.jpg

I think I'm going to try to drop the UVB a bit lower, and raise the LED, or put a shade on it so it is less visible from outside the tank. It tends to shine in your eyes a bit.

Once I have the tiles and other finishing touches in, I'll put the doors back on and monitor the temperatures, and change bulbs etc as required.

Anyway, I'm on track to have it all finished this weekend :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom