Live plants????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanabanana296

Hatchling Member
I'm wondering what type of live plants can go in a Beardie Vic. I see a few pics with them in a container of grass and I'm wondering is it wheat g rats or what kind is it? Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had small kale plants in my viv at one point. Tall grasses are pretty natural to their environment as well. You could also try hibiscus. You just want to ensure they're in a sturdy pot because they can get knocked down pretty easily. I wedged a pot into the corner of the tank with a basking rock up against it and that worked pretty well.

nanabanana296

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much. I'm hoping to make a realistic environment as possible. Has anyone tried succulents?

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Why not get some really nice fake plants? It's a lot less work and they won't eat them. And when they get trampled...they will. The fake ones just bounce right back.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Live plants are O.K. as long as you're 100% sure they are not toxic. You might rinse the plant lightly in the shower or with a hose to get rid of any possible pesticides if you get it from a gardening center.They def. need to be secured though, as Cooper said. But some beardies actually do eat fake plants, several of mine try for any green plastic/silk leaf they see so it's best to avoid them. There's actually a thread right now [ about a week old ] in the health or E.R. with pics from a concerned owner who's young dragon ate part of the plant.....so it's definitely a danger.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
There are some edible succulents - hens and chicks/house leaks, sedums, some others. Make sure you know the variety (stores tend to label them poorly some times) as some may be toxic. I grow succulents in another enclosure, but haven't in the dragons because he seems to just trample every thing. I had an aloe and he smashed it to oblivion.

For the dragons, I've got a collard green that's been going for several months now in my enclosure, it bounces back from being eaten on and smashed well enough. I've done wheat grass, greens, clover and lettuces. I will say that live plants tend to take a lot of light and water - you may need to add lighting to keep the plants happy. Otherwise they may stay small/weak, get leggy or just die off.

BigPapiJ

nanabanana296":3ckc9grx said:
Thank you so much. I'm hoping to make a realistic environment as possible. Has anyone tried succulents?

What a late reply lmao but I have an Aloe Vera inside my baby beardie tank, he's never tried to eat it or anything he just climbs on it *I think it's a she to be honest so I have to rename it* when it's lights out and falls asleep on what of the limbs of the plant or whatever, he does this as soon as the daylight goes off and the night light is on. Though I don't think a full grown beardie could do the same :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
BigPapiJ":15v1xac3 said:
nanabanana296":15v1xac3 said:

What a late reply lmao but I have an Aloe Vera inside my baby beardie tank, he's never tried to eat it or anything he just climbs on it *I think it's a she to be honest so I have to rename it* when it's lights out and falls asleep on what of the limbs of the plant or whatever, he does this as soon as the daylight goes off and the night light is on. Though I don't think a full grown beardie could do the same :D

Full grown pepper did a great job of ripping his aloe to shreds. mother-in-laws tongue/snake plant has been holding up against his abuse, though its looking a bit raged. its not strictly edible (can cause stomach upset) but he doesn't seem inclined to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom