Substrate/cleaning/Mega Ray/thermometer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to those who answered my previous questions. I am again feeling a bit overwhelmed at getting started...maybe I'm too neurotic to be a beardie parent?? Ha. I just want things to be right and not end up with a vet visit too soon if at all!

Would someone please help me with these questions?

1) After much more research I don't know that I want to use reptile carpet. I was thinking about going with the shelf liner as CooperDragon mentioned. Tile also sounds intriguing but also a bit difficult to get set up--you have to get it cut to fit, and what about seepage? Doesn't it get messy in between the tiles? With either option what's the best way to spot clean poops and urates? Pick up feces as soon as I see them but do I need a disinfecting spray too? Or is a damp wipe enough for every pick up and then save the disinfecting for the actual tank cleaning? I don't really want to use anything too harsh or fumy...I've heard vinegar works, or chlorhexidine, or F10sc? Being new at this I need simple and easy until I get the hang of it.

2) As for the tank cleaning - gosh I've read so many elaborate ways to clean the tank. Again, I really need simple and easy but of course want to do it the right way for my little guy. Initially I plan to have a basking log, repti hammock, a hiding log, food and water dish. Not too much to have to take out and clean. How often is a full on cleaning of the tank necessary if I do a good job of the spot cleaning? And many of the cleaning techniques I've read about involve rinsing depending on which way you go - how on earth do you rinse a 40 gallon tank? I read about "Professional Concentrated Disinfectant Coccicidal" solution. Sounds like you just mix up the solution, spray the tank and all decor and let it dry. Does anyone have any experience with this? I hope I don't sound lazy but I don't want to have to spend hours cleaning the tank.

3) I want to use the Mega Ray on a stand for UVA/UVB/heating purposes. I will monitor the heat to make sure it does it's job. If it isn't getting the basking spot hot enough, is it ok to add a separate basking lamp on the basking side as well? If I need to do this what's the best brand and wattage for a basking lamp to start out with? If I stick with the Mega Ray how does the UVA/UVB get spread out throughout the tank? Or does the beardie spend the majority of his daytime hours in the basking side so that's where he gets his rays - is that how it works? I know a lot of folks prefer the fluorescent tube but I want to try the set up without it first.

4) I've read good things about the acu-rite indoor/outdoor thermometer. Is this good for gauging humidity as well? Do I need 2 of thermometers, one for each side or does it come with 2 probes? If it comes with 2 probes do the wires spread out? Is it ok to leave the probes dangling from either side of the tank? I would feel more comfortable with a constant reading, not just putting the probes in when I want to know the temp or humidity. I've read infrared thermometer guns are good but I've already spent so much....maybe in the future!

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I use an infrared temp gun. As far as cleaning, I use f10sc. My exotic vet uses it. However, vet suggests rinsing the f10 off regardless of the websites that say you can leave on with no rinsing. I cleaned my whole set up yesterday with f10. Left it on for prescribed time. Wiped dry and then went over with water spray bottle and wiped up any f10 residue. This morning I slept in and Daisy took a poop on the shelf liner substrate. I wiped it up, sprayed f10 and let sit, and then went over with water to get rid of f10 residue. My reason for doing this rather than a simple spot clean is that I know the germs have been killed. Some people have suggested vinegar, but it is not an effective disinfectant for reptiles. It is good for making mirrors streak feee and glass cleaning and perhaps washing vegetables. If you have to pick up poop you might as well disinfect also. On the substrate issue, I did have tile in the cage but it was too time consuming to remove them to clean each tile topside and bottom. I now use no stick shelf liner. I didn't see your earlier post but once you lizard has settled in you should take him to an exotic vet for a wellness exam.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm going to agree with a lot of what daisy has said. I used shelf liner because yep, the poo can and did get under and between the tiles. So did roaches.

I have the F10SC as well, like it a lot but if you have a hard time finding it you can get similar products online or possible from your vet (quaternary ammonium disinfectant). Vinegar is alright against some typical bacteria and germs, but I doubt it does anything against parasites which is one of the things you really want to keep under control. My enclosures are all to large to rinse, the disinfectant solution (and wipe down if needed) or a steam cleaner would be fine.

The megaray is rather focused, it's a spot light basically so the UV will be directly under the lamp. You can add extra lamps for heat of you need but he will only get UVB when bask in in the loft from the megaray. It's a fine way to set it up. They have a chart somewhere on their website with the "spread pattern" of the UV that you can refer to to get an idea of the UV exposure area.

I think the accurite has one probe and sensors in the unit. I don't use them but you'd put the unit on the cool side and the probe at the basking site. I found the humidity on the non-probe ones I have to be rather inaccurate but you can check it with a "salt test" the first couple google hits will explain the method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom