Issues With Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As information, the bulb we use for our beardies is this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-PowerSun-Mercury-Vapor/dp/B0002AQDJK - PowerSun 100W UV MV Lamp

My wife and I have two adult beardies and will be adopting a juvenile, and this is the standard bulb we use. For substrate, we changed to using tile from my wife's work (she designs countertops so we get chunks of tile for free) with some sand sprinkled on top for traction. The problems is that our PowerSun bulbs as noted above go out with relative frequency, with some lasting less than a month. We keep a backup bulb sealed at all times so that in case of emergencies our dragons don't get cold but I'm wondering who else uses these bulbs and what your experience is with longevity. They are not cheap and they always seem to die out just after the return period expires and sending in the old one to be replaced equals cold lizards. I'm especially worried about our new juvenile (female, probably 6-8 months old) because she previously lived in a ten gallon (!) tank with ONLY a tube light and her lower jaw juts out making me think she may have early signs of MBD.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they are burning out that quickly with that much frequency, the issue may be with the fixture. Have you tried a separate fixture? That said, these bulbs are OK, but not the best. It may be worth investing in a higher end bulb in the long run. The MegaRay bulbs are really nice. The Arcadia bulbs are great as well. You can get excellent fixtures with them from LightYourReptiles. They cost more up front but it may be worth it in the long run if they outlast just a few of the PowerSun bulbs.

DracoLord510

Original Poster
Yes, we have tried four different types of dome lights from different brands. We used to have a kit that held our nighttime bulbs (our house CAN get a little cold and I don't want my beardies cold) and our main UVB/UVA bulbs and it seemed like the fixtures just overheated and killed the bulbs so we got Java a single enclosure and it has worked fine since we got him it roughly 9 months ago. We've even fully replaced the outlet the light connected to as an attempt to fix it and that seemed to work for a few months. Our female dragon Lola is in another room and uses a similar bulb that lasted nearly 8 months until it stopped producing enough UVB to make me happy. So I'm not sure what to do. I'm willing to try another brand if I'm certain it's going to work and price doesn't matter too much.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's odd that the bulbs have been faulty in multiple fixtures and with a new outlet. That makes me think the bulbs are to blame but I can't be certain. In my mind it's worth it to go with the higher end MVBs because they are made using stricter manufacturing practices than their cheaper counterparts. I would also put a good surge protector in place between the outlet and the fixture (if you don't already have one in place) just in case power surges are causing an issue.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Out of curiosity, do you handle the bulbs while they are on or still hot? I don't use them, but have read they can be delicate especially to being jostled while on/hot and can be sensitive to finger oils from being touched on the glass.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good thought too. I've found the same thing with the ZooMed basking lights. I'm sure to use a paper towel between my hand and the glass when I screw in a new bulb.

Sorry to jump in on the post but im having a pretty much identical problem with my arcadia spot lamps, . One blew this morning actually.
Had to get a quick replacement from my local pet shop which was a Habistat bulb. Never used one before so i am going to see if it fairs any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom