Lighting/temp for new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrucifiedAn9el

A few weeks ago I got 2 baby beardies for the first time, it was very sudden since the guy had to get rid of them so they came in a tote and I had no problem with lighting and temp. I just got their new tank a couple days ago and their basking spot is only at 82.2 and the cold side is 72.5....the tank is 55" by 26" by 23" so about 140gal...I'm Using a 150 watt ceramic heater, a 150 watt basking light and 2 150 watt uvb.... I'm not sure if I need a higher wattage or if I should get a under the tank heater...I also live in the basement which gets cold in the winter

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try adding a second 150w basking light so you have side by side basking lights. The advantage of this will be to make the basking area larger to allow plenty of space for them to each bask. You may want to consider dividing the tank to give each of them their own area because they may start becoming competitive and aggressive toward eachother. I also suggest getting a T5 UVB tube. These will provide a wider, more even spread of UVB across the basking area. for the tank size you have, I suggest using a 34'' UVB tube. Something like this will work very well. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/34-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ Just mount it about 12'' above the highest part of the basking spot. It can go right on top of the tank, just build the basking spot up a bit. If you wind up dividing the tank, just run it over the divider so half of it is shining over each basking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom