BASKING BULBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyproz

Hey there. I need a basking/heat bulb for my bearded dragon. I know i can buy flood light bulbs but they are very big and im looking for something more compact. What bulb brands from pet shops do you guys trust?
They seem to give off the same heat but in a more compact bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had good luck with the ZooMed Repti Basking Spot lamps. They tend to burn out after a few months of regular use though and they are delicate so be gentile with them and pick up a spare to have on hand =).

Megalania

Cyproz":2mw735rh said:
Hey there. I need a basking/heat bulb for my bearded dragon. I know i can buy flood light bulbs but they are very big and im looking for something more compact. What bulb brands from pet shops do you guys trust?
They seem to give off the same heat but in a more compact bulb.
The par 38 bulbs are big,but you can buy compact halogen flood bulbs.The sizes are in eights of an inch,and there are Par 16(2 inch),par 20(2.5 inch),and par 30(3.75 inch) in addition to the par 38(4.75 inch) bulbs.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Be careful with the smaller bulbs (small PAR or Spot type) that the basking site is big enough. Some of them are much too focused and can generate a very small 'hotspot' and the rest would be too cool.

Megalania

Taterbug":2imhud68 said:
Be careful with the smaller bulbs (small PAR or Spot type) that the basking site is big enough. Some of them are much too focused and can generate a very small 'hotspot' and the rest would be too cool.
The spots are all too narrow,either 9 or 10 degrees or 16 for wide spot.The 16 degree wide spot can be made to work if it's mounted high enough above the basking area.The floods are either narrow,24 to 30 degrees,or wide,usually 40 to 50 degrees.The shorter bulbs have a slightly larger dispersion area,because they're higher up in the fixture(compared to a LN bulb in the same fixture),but the par 30 bulb is usually a par 30ln,which has a longer neck,so the dispersion is about the same as a equivalent par 38.I have all the spec sheets from Osram/Sylvania,GE,and Phillips if anyone needs exact model number or specs.Here's some links(PDF are downloadable):
https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/philips-halogen-par-bulletin.pdf
https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/ge-halogen-par-brochure.pdf
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/halogen/Pages/directional.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom