Concerned about enclosure safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardy27

Hello everyone, I don't have my beardie yet as I want to make sure his home is set up and running how it's supposed to. I have been reading a lot here and educating my self as this will be my first BD. However I am a bit OCD when it comes to my pets, I consider them my children lol and constantly run things through my head. My first concern is with this rockwall I made out of Styrofoam and grout! It has a high platform near the basking spot that is 9" off the ground. My concern is that he might be lazy to crawl back where he came from and just jump off. If that were the case can he get hurt? I don't know if I'll be getting a baby, juvenile, or adult yet.

My other question is in regards to my building materials, I used polyblend grout, old Styrofoam from power tool boxes, loctite power grab, glue gun, and mode podge. Are any of those things toxic?

Here is my set up:
40 gal breader tank from petco
24" reptisun t5 high output
8.5 reptisun dome for basking bulb
A CHE in case temp get below 75 at night
As for sustrate, I am thinking a reptile carpet

Let me know if there's anything of concern here, I am mainly worried about him jumpin off his high basking spot, not sure if a 9" fall is of any worry with beardies. Sorry I am new to the site and still haven't learned to upload pics.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can't comment much on the toxicity of the building materials but they should be OK as long as you give them plenty of time to off gas in a well ventilated area. As far as your tank and lighting goes, they sound very good to me. Do you have a good way of getting accurate temperature measurements? You'll want to get your temp gradient set up beforehand if you can (Roughly 100-110 basking area and 75-80 cool side for a little guy and 100-105 basking and 75-80 cool side for an adult).

As far as the platform goes, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump. The little ones especially like to jump off of things (furniture, shoulders, etc). A 9'' drop isn't too bad, especially onto a softer substrate like repti carpet. I would provide a nice gradual ramp to make it easy to move back and forth though so the option is there. I also suggest getting several sets of reptile carpet. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned quite frequently and can become ragged quickly so it's good to have extras on hand to swap in.

You can upload photos using the image uploader https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then you can post to your threads using the XIMG button.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
They are pretty willing and able climbers and jumpers. As long as they won't hit anything in the the way down they should be ok. Pepper can easily jump up to a 6-8" tall platform and hops back down from that or his taller one all the time. A rescue dragon or a sick one may be not at risk of injury though.

beardy27

Original Poster
Taterbug":2enee79c said:
They are pretty willing and able climbers and jumpers. As long as they won't hit anything in the the way down they should be ok. Pepper can easily jump up to a 6-8" tall platform and hops back down from that or his taller one all the time. A rescue dragon or a sick one may be not at risk of injury though.
Thank you so much for easing my anxiety!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
beardy27":3klb4e2r said:
Taterbug":3klb4e2r said:
Thank you so much for easing my anxiety!
I just realized i had a typo - a rescue dragon (such as one with MDB) may be at more risk of injury but a healthy one shouldn't have issue with a height like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom