CHE Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

genskiR6

Over the summer I got my little beardie. So winter is approaching and we do not use the heater in our home at all during the winter. So temps will most likely drop to 60 or so in our home and cooler at night. So I plan on adding a CHE to Wayne's enclosure for night time. I think she'll be during the day. My question is about the wattage of the CHE. I personally do not feel like going back and forth to the store to buy/return products. Experienced CHE users: Should I get the same wattage that I'm using for her heat lamp or something a bit lower since it will be for night use only? Ive never used one of these before and have no idea what kind of heat they produce.

Thanks in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found that a lower wattage CHE works well enough. All you need to do is boost the temps in the tank to the high 60s or low 70s overnight rather than hitting basking temperatures. I've used a 50w CHE that does the job nicely at 18'' up. I've also used a 100w CHE and raised that 25'' up.

genskiR6

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ip2md8n said:
I've found that a lower wattage CHE works well enough. All you need to do is boost the temps in the tank to the high 60s or low 70s overnight rather than hitting basking temperatures. I've used a 50w CHE that does the job nicely at 18'' up. I've also used a 100w CHE and raised that 25'' up.

What was your home temp when using the diff wattages?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used them during the winter so it would be anywhere from 55-65 overnight in the tank without them. Since you have a fixed top on your tank it will be tougher to make minor adjustments. I'd guess that the 50w will do the job. You could also hook a 100w up to a thermostat but that may be overkill. Really just need a slight bump and it's enough.

genskiR6

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ajjtbtp said:
I used them during the winter so it would be anywhere from 55-65 overnight in the tank without them. Since you have a fixed top on your tank it will be tougher to make minor adjustments. I'd guess that the 50w will do the job. You could also hook a 100w up to a thermostat but that may be overkill. Really just need a slight bump and it's enough.

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom