UVB placement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashki

I've been using the UVB light from my old enclosure (a lot smaller) on the inside of the new larger one. I want to know whether I should go and buy a longer light right away or whether this smaller one will suffice for the moment. Let me post some pictures to make things easier.

2nuqdn6.jpg

9vlfmp.jpg

So he spends most of his time on this brick fort (which was originally temporary but it retains heat nicely and I figure it's good for his digestion) and is therefore about 7 inches away from the UVB 90% of the time.
He gets off and runs about sometimes, but ultimately ends up there for 10 hours of the day I'd say.
As a result I considered not getting a second or larger tube, but wanted to check if there was any good reason that I should reconsider? Money isn't really an issue so I'm more than happy to go and buy him a longer one if it's better for him, I'm just wondering if you guys think it's necessary. Thanks :)

PS - The basking light sits on the mesh above so while he's basking he is receiving both heat and UV at once.
Also, don't mind the hygrometer - it's highly inaccurate and I measure humidity manually.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks pretty good to me. I like having the UVB only on half of the tank to help provide a gradient and allow them to self regulate. Is it a T8 tube? Optimal distance for a T8 is about 6-8'' so that's a good distance too.

Kashki

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1mgwtd1c said:
That looks pretty good to me. I like having the UVB only on half of the tank to help provide a gradient and allow them to self regulate. Is it a T8 tube? Optimal distance for a T8 is about 6-8'' so that's a good distance too.

It's just a regular 10.0 UVB tube. I've not seen the T8 tubes in Australia but if you think they're a better option I could try and track one down?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
T8 is the size of the bulb rather than a brand. They are a bit bigger than the T5 bulbs and have a weaker output (which is where the optimal distance comes into play). If you had a T5 it would be much brighter and I'd suggest having it around 12-14'' above the basking area.

Kashki

Original Poster
CooperDragon":lnpwv5dq said:
T8 is the size of the bulb rather than a brand. They are a bit bigger than the T5 bulbs and have a weaker output (which is where the optimal distance comes into play). If you had a T5 it would be much brighter and I'd suggest having it around 12-14'' above the basking area.

Oh thank you for this information. I just looked at the packaging and saw a little T8 right down the bottom corner. So I suppose as it is a T8 the location is just about right :)

Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom