Calling out for Cooperdragon-UVB help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Cooper, I'm not really happy with the 36" hood with the T5HO bulb. I have the Exoterra 36"x18"x18", which I believe that's the one you have. I want it to sit on top in a hood. I think it has been affecting Mystic, that's why I'm returning it to Petco. It was a great price, 50$, but since I don't have a UVB meter, I can't tell what it's putting out. Thanks, Terry

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is the same tank I have. The 36'' T5 with a reflector is pretty strong and would produce high UVB levels all the way across the enclosure. Do you have several hides and shady areas in the tank? I would also put it to one side of the enclosure. I had mine on the front. I built the basking spots only 6'' above the ground because Dundee had a bit of a time moving around. With that bulb I wouldn't build them much higher.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Cooper, I think that's why Mystic was hiding all the time in his rock cave, the UVB was just too much for him. He was never coming out. I have been trying to understand the exoterra & the zoomed guide lines for the right UVB light for the tank. The right side with his thermometer and hammock says 95 degrees and the left side with his log is about 75-80 most of the time.
83443-1035136762.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If I had it to do again I would get the 22/24'' T5 and put it next to the basking light to create a nice zone of high temp and UVB and that would also create a gradient that decreases exposure and heat as you move to the cool side of the tank. I still measure daylight levels of UVB at heights around the black piece at the bottom of the doors so I don't suggest making climbs higher than that near the basking light as it will create an area with very intense UVB that isn't likely to be used much. Are you using a red light as well? For the time being I'd set it up with just a bright white basking light on one side and then the UVB light going across the front. Here's an example of how I had mine set up. I would move it even further to the front and add some more shade areas, maybe using your hammock. on the cool side. Try creating as much variety as you can to allow for self regulation.

76248-6015069620.jpg

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes, we are still using the red bulb and a 100W basking bulb in the mini zoomed fixture. I've taken down the 36" hood and UVB bulb to return. That may have been too intense for him. Temporarily we are using the zoomed compact UVB bulb and fixture. He is still hanging out on the warmer right side for now. He will probably go back into the log cave on the left side tonight to sleep. But he is not sleeping day & night, that why I thought he maybe brumating. We do enventualy need to get a CFE. I just want to get a UVB hood and bulb he can deal with. You seem to know a lot and appreciate all your help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Stop using the red bulb. You just need a bright white basking bulb and a good UVB light. The UVB you have should be OK as long as there are plenty of hides to allow for some variation.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Perhaps you have returned the fixture already, but another option is to move it further away. The UVB intensity is reduced the further away from the bulb you get so you can still achieve a gentle level even with these strong lamps. I would personally try that before going back to a coil or to a T8 inside the enclosure.

That said, it's my opinion that a 36" is too long for a 40breeder, or even a 48" long enclosure. The 22" are quite suitable for these size spaces, but shade and cover is still important.

This may help get an idea of what distance to try for, https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom