Fred's tank set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Fred's tank. I do not like this light up top so I think I'll be investing in new ones. Has anyone seen this light? It has 3 light spots, but is missing the long light bar. Currently it has a 10.0 repti-glo and a day heat light.
82212-1644621198.jpg
82212-2452383661.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What size is that tank? It looks a little small in the photos. I would definitely change that fixture in favor of a dome fixture with a basking bulb and a tube style UVB light with a reflective fixture. The size of the tank and distances between lights and basking areas have a significant effect so once I have the tank dimensions I can help you find some appropriate lighting.

cynikalkat

Original Poster
77.5 cm long (30.5 in) x 32.5 cm wide (12.79 in). It's not as big as Milla's 75 gallon but Fred is also a lot smaller. (I'll measure her after my dinner).
I added a basking lamp this morning (25 watt as it's a 30-gal tank). Added a better thermometer/humidity reader and got a bigger hide.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How tall is it? I'm thinking it's probably best to have a T8 tube with reflector for one that size. The 18'' should do. Better if you can mount it inside the tank but it will be OK on top on the basking side if you can get the basking branch up to within 6'' of the bulb. How is the new basking light doing? Getting the temps up well enough?

cynikalkat

Original Poster
walked into our bedroom (where the beardies are) after work and HOLY CRAP ITS WARM! Temps in fred's tank are exactly 90. In Milla's (which is MUCH bigger) its 85. I think I need another thermometer in her tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd definitely pick up a temp gun then. It's important to get accurate readings of the temps across the tank so you can adjust the lighting properly. The basking spot should be around 100-105 with a gradient down to 75-80 on the cool side. That will allow for self regulation and is important for overall health. You can change the temps by adjusting the height of the basking light or by dimming the basking light using a lamp dimmer if it's a dimmable bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Home depot should have them available. You don't need to spend a ton of money on one though. They get more accurate and have different effective ranges and widths as you spend more but you don't really need much to get a close enough reading inside a tank. I wouldn't spend more than $25-$30 or so. ZooMed makes one called ReptiTemp that may be available at the pet store as well. That should do the job nicely and shouldn't cost over $25.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
cynikalkat":dm08o3tf said:
also considering removing the big branch thing as she doesn't have a lot of room to run around.

You can get pretty creative with how you set up the enclosure. Perhaps use that half log and prop up some driftwood or a branch from outside to provide a wide basking platform as well as a hide underneath. Just be sure to rinse off anything from outside and then bake (wood) at around 250 for 30-45 min to prevent contamination of the tank. The important part inside the tank is to create hiding areas/shade areas along with a nice wide elevated basking area. For running around I'd just provide time outside the tank to explore as long as you can create a safe area (no other pets, nothing to fall on her, nothing to ingest from the floor etc).

cynikalkat

Original Poster
fyi Milla is about 18 inches long and 4.5 in wide, whereas Fred is about 16 in x 3.5.
Milla seems to be a LOT bigger just looking at her. I wish I had a scale to weigh them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found that a cheap kitchen scale works pretty well. I just put a shoebox top on the scale and then tare it and put them in the shoebox top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom