Getting a 75 gallon tank questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
I think I'm getting at 75 gallon reptile tank tonight and it comes with a long 2 light fixture. Should those both be uvb lights?? Should I light the other side of the tank with anything? I've never had a tank this bug just want Sheldon to be happy in there lol!!

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I use a 75 gallon tank for mine. I have a Zoo Med T5 HO 10.0 on hot side. It's the 22inch in the corresponding Zoo Med fixture. I also use a 100w spot light in a deep dome both by Zoo Med. Let me know if you need any pictures for reference.

EDIT: What type fixtures come with your setup?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Depends on the dimensions of your tank.

Generally you want the uvb bulb to be around 3/4th the total length of the tank.

Look at the sticky at the top of this section of the forum to answer all your lighting questions.

-Brandon

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jgodman1011":1aoijzhj said:
I think I'm getting at 75 gallon reptile tank tonight and it comes with a long 2 light fixture. Should those both be uvb lights?? Should I light the other side of the tank with anything? I've never had a tank this bug just want Sheldon to be happy in there lol!!
How long are they, do they have a reflector and what type of bulb does it take (it should say t8 or t5 somewhere)? Typically one is enough. You can use a "daylight" bulb in the other socket.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
That's a neat fixture!
There are different types of fluorescent tubes, they are labeled by T# to identify them.

If it is a T8 (the bulb will be 1" diameter) then you can use a reptisun 10.0 in one slot (the one on the basking side) and a daylight bulb (this is a term they would label on the box it's basically just a nice bright light) in the other side. You could also put a UVB (10.0 or 5.0) in the otherwise of you want. Using no uv or a lower output would be to give a gradient, similar to how we provide heat.

Just going off the picture though it looks like a T12 (1-1/2") which would only be good for lighting, I don't think they make T12 UVB anymore.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OH NO !! really? it fits so nicely in the back of the tank! can the hood still be used? so i can't put the reptisun bulbs in there? Help??
Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jgodman1011":2dj3gzg4 said:
OH NO !! really? it fits so nicely in the back of the tank! can the hood still be used? so i can't put the reptisun bulbs in there? Help??
Thanks!
Measure the tubes to be sure, but if it is a T12 they don't make the uv bulbs that size any more and the different types are not comparable with each other u_u sad to say. You can still use it with daylight bulbs for brightness if you can find some. T12 is older, less efficient technology.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Probably, if your electricity inclined you can replace the ballast and the end posts, you might be able to find a kit or components at Home Depot or similar. No idea how much worth that would be, might be simpler to get a new hood.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i'll have to price the hoods and see what i can find. the hood that came with it actually ran the length of the back of the tank closing it off nicely. Maybe i can find something that will fit as well.
Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jgodman1011":363fip1j said:
i'll have to price the hoods and see what i can find. the hood that came with it actually ran the length of the back of the tank closing it off nicely. Maybe i can find something that will fit as well.
Thanks!
75g is still a popular size hopefully you an find something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom