Please help a new owner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy1988

83383-5358914919.jpg
Hello, I bought my lovely beardie Lovebug just over a week ago. He's from a small reptile shop near me and they have been very helpful but i have a few concerns over my beardies setup and feeding.
First his setup. His viv is the vivexotic viva plus terrestrial large deep, its W115cm D61 H50. I feel like his basking light is too near the floor for me to give him something to climb onto, I don't want him to get burnt. His basking light is a 100w red spotlight.
I've bought a 60watt clear light to put in for a few reasons. I've heard they enjoy white light more and I've caught him on his log under his UV light worried he is not basking enough. I've also found the basking light only stays on for about half the time because it is on a thermostat and its reaching the correct temp quickly. Lovebug doesn't sit on his basking spot if his lights not on. So I'm worried again he's not getting enough heat. I haven't installed the white light yet because I'm worried about night time temps, I've the red bulb to do both.
What should I do?? :eek:
The second question the petshop has been feeding him and giving me locusts much bigger then the gap between his eyes. He has had no difficulties munching them down but it goes against everything I've read! I was worrying so much last night I had to go to a different shop and buy him little ones. Silly question but by the same size food as gap between eyes you mean length ways on the insect? The petshop owners seem very experienced and he is my first reptile so maybe they are right. . .
Oh and one more question (I promise!) His UV light is an Arcadia UV flood 12% it doesn't span his whole cage, should I swap for a longer one? And he can get near to it on his log but chooses not to most the time, will he be getting enough UV light?
Any help would be really appreciated, I was up at night worrying, i couldn't bear it if anything happened to him now, I'm in love as already!
Many thanks Lucy x

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Hi, Congrats on the new Beardie!
The red light should go. Unless the temp. of the tank drops below 65*F at night no extra heat is needed. If you need heat then a ceramic heat emitter is best for night because it produces no light and therefore doesn't interfere with their sleep.
The bugs should be the length between the beardies eyes. If they are too much bigger they can cause Impaction which can lead to paralysis and even death.
My UVB tube only expands half the length of my 4' tank and it's okay. Is yours a tube bulb? If not I'd recommend getting one because they are much better than the coil/compact bulbs.
From what I've seen beardies go where they need to be so if he was cold I'm sure he'd warm himself up. I think getting UVB light is more important than heat as long as he's not freezing but the heat from the basking spot should warn the whole tank up.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How are you taking the temps? What are they? Also the white basking light and uvb need to be placed next to each other.

Lucy1988

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the quick replies. :) Im going to change his bulb tomorrow morning. His night temps will be ok for now but i'll get him a ceramic bulb for winter
. Knew the locusts were too big for him!
His UV bulb is
http://arcadia-reptile.com/uv-flood-lamp/. Its 5" away from basking spot, was worried it would melt if i put it closer. Is it good enough for him considering he rarely climbs to get close to it and his basking spot is low? I'm hoping to move it up with the lower watt bulb. I've seen a bit about mercury vapour bulbs but I'm not sure what they are. . . Do you use them instead of a basking light? UV light? Would it be too powerful with my viv being 50cm high?
His temps are 103 to 106 basking spot and 80 dead on his cool side, I use a temp gun.
Thanks for the help, Lucy.
83383-2317901147.jpg
Lovebug after his bath. Xxx

KRayne

Hatchling Member
I use the reptisun 10.0 t8 tube UVB light and I know the Arcadia 12% tube light is a very good option but I'm not sure about the flood lamp. I know some compact UVB bulbs can give off harmful/dangerous UVB rays but I'm unsure about this one. You should probably raise it a little higher away from the basking spot. I'm pretty sure the Arcadia 12% tube is best 12-14" off the basking spot, again not sure about the compact version.

Lucy1988

Original Poster
Hey, I meant 5" length ways, not height, if that makes sense. It is about 16" away from his basking spot atm but his spots going to be lifted tonight when he has his bath :). Now I've got him his little hoppers and white basking light I think i can sleep easy! This is a great forum, bit addicted to it, so many threads to read.
Lucy.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
It does make sense and I'm glad this helped :D I know what you mean, this site is definitely addicting lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom