Cleaning tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox

New here, and getting my beardie on Saturday. In my last post I asked about using play sand as a substrate, but now I've read that tile is better. So, my question is, if I use tile, how do I clean it? Do you have to take it out to clean, and what do you use? Or do you just spot clean for poop, like picking it up with a paper towel, and take everything out now and then for a bigger spray down clean? It sounds so messy, but I think I'm just not picturing it properly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have 3 sets of tiles for the enclosure (2 tiles in at a time). I spot clean with a vinegar/water mixture and remove the tiles to sanitize them. I either use a steam cleaner or bake the tiles in the oven.

Rox

Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon. That sounds pretty easy. I went out and bought my tile today, so I'm set now, and I always clean with vinegar and water, so that will be nice and easy too. I don't know what ratio I use (I used to measure according to something I had read, but now I just kind of dump in vinegar and then add water).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just dump vinegar and water together in a spray bottle. It's roughly 50/50 I guess. The vinegar is good for getting stuck spots loose and cleaning surfaces. It has some antibacterial properties but I don't trust it against the really nasty stuff which is why I bake the tile after a big mess or just weekly to ensure they are sanitized. I use a small steam cleaner to clean up the rest of the enclosure as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom