First time owner, need a tank upgrade - advice, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimmyDare

Hi guys!

So Humphrey, my dragon, isn't too happy with his current setup after his growth spurt. He needs a larger tank, but after browsing around, I feel so lost. His current cage is 30 x 12 x 18 (I think I did that right, with the 12 being the width), which was huge for him for a while, but he outgrew it so fast!

So, what tanks do you guys use for your adult beardies? Any links to pages that have them for sale? I'm drawing blanks everywhere.

Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like time to upgrade him to a adult beardie sized home , 4' x 2' x 1.5-2' tall.

Great weekend DIYS project if you the tools.

KimmyDare

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":xel6bqgw said:
Sounds like time to upgrade him to a adult beardie sized home , 4' x 2' x 1.5-2' tall.

Great weekend DIYS project if you the tools.

Thanks for replying! I sadly don't have the tools, but I've been surfing the web all day trying to find something - and strangely having trouble doing so. I'll stop in at local stores this weekend, I think!

:D

Bonesz203

Check in 'The Great Big List of Adult Enclosures'. It's stickied in Enclosures. There's a bunch of different options there from wood to plastic and even a Do It Yourself tutorial to build one from Melamine which is probably the route I'll go with. I'd just advise lookin there first before some unreliable pet store tries to sell you the wrong stuff. I'm not trying to knock your knowledge of your animal just saying a lot of these pet stores are quite convincing lol.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Just got the Exo terra terrarium 36"x 18" x 18" with the front doors a few weeks back for Mystic, my nieces bearded dragon. So much easier to use with the doors. It was on sale at Petsmart for 186$. The T5 HO hood and bulb are coming tomorrow. I few more things and he should be much happier.He is sleeping in his National geographic large log cave again tonight. I'll have to post a few new pictures soon.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Terry, is that big enough? I looked at that one but wasnt sure its long enough. what do you think?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Personally I dont think the large exoterras are big enough - a good very basic rule of thumb is the shortest dimensions shouldn't be smaller than the dragon is long. Lots of people use the 36x18x18 but remember that's basically all the space your pet gets to have (except when you have them out) so the more you can offer the better.

If have the space and ability but not the tools you can rent tools or even have a place like Home Depot cut the boards when you buy them. There are also places online that sell plastic reptile enclosures.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I think it's ok, maybe the one that's 24" deep would be better, they love climbing. Mystic really likes being out of his terrarium. The place here is not a dragon proof house, he seems to like hanging out & being part of the family. He's in brumation/hibernation, I believe. He seems to be more active walking around the house exploring the place, getting more exercise. He is my nieces beardie, but I'm the one who is taking care of him. Learning as much as I can to keep him happy. I just started working FT again, so it's time to get him some new things for his home. Change it up a little. Tomorrow it's time for a bath, maybe a little food. He's not been eating much, but I still try to offer him some fresh greens, fruit, crickets and a few mealie worms. Which he does not really eat. He does like when I feed him applesauce and some chicken baby food off my finger. Sometime I think he's just depressed, but it must be that time of year.
83443-1035136762.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom