enclosure questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callista

Hi,

I'm making my own fake rock background/basking platform, and I've just finished cutting everything out of styrofoam. But now before I start to glue everything together, I had a couple of questions, since this will be my first beardie, and I want to do right by him/her.

First of all, the hide I made looks kinda small now that I can see more than a drawing of it. How big should a hide for a bearded dragon be?

Secondly, would I be correct in assuming that a reptisun 10.0 spanning 3/4 of the enclosure, and about 20 cm (7.9 inches) from the basking spot is a good way to go? Would it be better to go with the 10.0 or the 10.0 HO? From what I understand from this: https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides
it would be better to go with the HO, but I just wanted to double check.

And thirdly, I've seen some of you give your beardies a blanket. What fabric would be good? Is fleece ok?

I keep coming up with new questions to ask, and I'm so grateful to this site for providing the answers, so thank you all!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to have hides range in size a bit if you can fit multiple hides. I'd at least have one that provides enough space for your dragon to lay down completely and turn around in while being completely out of the light. They tend to like relatively tight spaces though so it doesn't need to be much bigger than that.

The HO bulb in Taterbug's chart refers to a T5 which requires a T5 fixture. I like using those as they have a very high quality output. Their optimal range is about 12-14'' above the basking site and they can be mounted right on top of a 40g breeder tank. The T8 style ReptiSun 10 is an older, lower output bulb so I'd make sure to use a fixture that has a reflective backing on it and it should be mounted 6-8'' above the basking spot for optimal output. Either one should run about 1/2 the length of the enclosure or a little longer.

Fleece is commonly used for blankets and hammocks because it's soft and it doesn't have loops which can catch nails and cause issues.

Callista

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help!
I've made the hide a bit bigger, so my dragon will be able to turn in it, and I've ordered the 10.0 HO tube. Now I have to start grouting my enclosure. I can't wait until I've finished, so I can get my dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom