Dragon eating alfalfa bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassraptor

Hello, I've just got my first beardie and my first reptile that lives inside, so I'm still a newbie when it comes to managing lighting, bedding, etc. I originally intended to use paper towels, as I understand there's little risk of impaction, but at the reptile store I was advised to get some of the rabbit pellets the lizard was already living on (I was told paper towels were never used by any keepers unless the animal was a baby which imo struck me as odd given the apparent popularity of paper towels). I thought this would be ok because I had heard they weren't big on eating them, but when my lizard goes to grab a cricket, she sometimes eats a pellet and seems to chew and swallow rather than spitting it out. Could this hurt her at all? I can't find much on impaction risks; most things say there's not much of a risk but I found a few things saying it was just as bad as sand and I'm really worried. Should I try switching it out for paper towels once she's not as stressed out from moving?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can be a bit clumsy while eating which is one reason why solid substrates are recommended. I'd imagine the alfalfa would just break up after being eaten but I suppose it could pose an impaction risk. I'd worry more about not being able to keep it sanitary. Switching to a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic tile would be easier to clean and keep in sanitary condition.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The pellets are really dry so they could be a problem if the dragon isn't getting enough fluids. I agree though, heigeine would be my bigger concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom