Modifying a screen cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelseaa

I have an unoccupied 4ft x 3ft screen Chameleon cage that I would like to somehow modify into a beardie enclosure. Has anyone ever heard of this or has done it? It is full screen, and is held together by PVC pipes. I was thinking about putting plexiglass on the sides and top so it's no longer "screen" and slate tile on the bottom, then instead of it sitting in a tall position, I put it on it's side so it's longways, which makes it a pretty HUGE cage. Does anyone have any objections to this? I thought it would be a good idea to put this thing into some good use. But I don't know if it is a good idea or not, so I would like some opinions, maybe some help with ideas on this with more experienced owners/builders. Thank you :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
My first thought is heat. From what I know of chameleons the mesh cages work well because their heat needs are lower and it helps with ventilation to which they are much more sensitive. With dragons, the more ventilation the better but you start fighting yourself when it comes to heat... if you have a room that stays in the upper 70s you would probably be fine, but if its cooler you may struggle to keep the temps up high enough.

My second thought is I don't recommend acrylic/plexi-glass for dragons. If they can reach it, they will probably scratch it. I have plexi-glass for my doors right now and they are soooo very scratched up where he can reach them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom