Too hot with new baskingspots, i need help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardy32

I'm from Holland and i tried my best to write this post in correct English.
If there is something you don't understand, please let me know.

Yesterday i bought new Rep Tech lamps.

For the UVA and UVB and warmth at the same time, i bought the Rep Tech Mercury Vapor lamp, the 80 Watt.
It is a combination lamp that doesn't need a ballast.
You do need a ceramic fitting, but i do so that's not a problem.

The distance from the lamp to the Beardies is 30 cm's.

After 4 hours the temperature was 52 degrees celsius.
I meassure the temperature with an infrared thermometer, especially for terrariums.

Both Beardies had their mouth wide open, so i think it was really warm in there.
I don't want them to burn their back or something because it's maybe to hot for them.

In the middle there is a plastic fitting.
There i placed the Rep Tech Neodymium Basking lamp, 60 Watt.
The distance from the lamp to the Beardies is 40/45 cm's.
The temperature is 33 degrees celsius.

On the left i have placed the Rep Tech Neodymium Basking lamp, 40 Watt.
It's a ceramic fitting.
The distance from the lamp to the Beardies is 35 cm's.
The temperature is 31.3 degrees.

The temperature in the whole terrarium ( not under the spots), is between 36 and 26 degrees, at different places.

I think it is too hot for the Beardies, because where ever they are basking, it doesn't matter under which spot/lamp,.. they are always sitting there with their mouth wide open.
Maybe it's because i use three warmth lamps right know?

So did i placed too many baskingspots?
Do i have to remove the one in the middle and leave that one empty?

And maybe change the 80 watt with the one on the left?
Because the spot on the left is made from wood and i think that that doesn't absorb much heat from the 80 watt lamp.

It's 190cm's W x 80cm H x 60cm D ( wxhx d).

What is the best set-up with the lamp's i have?
Maybe in the middle only a lamp for the light ( not a basking lamp)?
Then left the 80 watt and right the 40 Watt lamp?

( left and right are cermic fittings, the one in the middle is a plastic fitting).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....your English is quite good actually, no problem reading your post. I think your idea is good, to eliminate the middle bulb and just use the ones on the end. You can try using the 80 watt on the opposite side, that might help.

In case the babies have been getting too hot, be sure to offer water dripped on their noses for a drink as well as a short, arm pit deep bath every couple of days [ about 5-10 minutes long ] so they can have a drink. Someone else might have suggestions on your bulb placement as well....Cooperdragon and Taterbug are very helpful with such things. :)

Beardy32

Original Poster
Yesterday i changed the lamps.

The RepTech Mercury Vapor 80 Watt is now on the left, in the middle a simple spot for only light ( no or almost no heating) and on the right a baskinglamp from 40 Watt, the RepTech Baskingspot lamp.

Yesterday i had first the 60 watt on the right ( also RepTech), but it became 48 degrees on the baskingspot.
That was to hot for them.
So i switched it this morning with a 40 watt.

I also have a 25 watt from RepTech, but i think that the 40 watt will be the right lamp.

The problem is also the material where the lamp shines on.
That material is holding a lot of heat, so it quickly becomes warm in that corner.
For me it is just to seek out which lamp will do the work, but i think the 40 watt will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom