Dig Boxes and Young Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

onceblue

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

I recently took in a baby beardie that was being underfed and that had a bad viv setup. He's been with me for about two weeks now and he's settling into his new home, eating a ton of bugs (dusted once daily), and doing really well under his reptisun UVB. I was thinking about adding a dig box to his enclosure with whole flax seeds as a substrate to give him something fun to do.

However, I want to make sure he isn't too small/young for that, and I can't seem to find any info about how big/old a beardie should be before you add a dig box. I don't know his exact age due to his circumstances and it's possible that he's smaller than he should be because he was underfed for roughly a month, but he was 6" long when I measured him last week (he seems to be in constant shed now though!), so maybe 2 - 3 months?

Should I wait to add a dig box or should he be okay now? Are there any concerns with the possible ingestion of flax seeds at this age?

Also, as a side question, should I add the box to the warm or cool side of the viv?

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I think it might be best to wait until he's bigger, maybe 12-13" . I'm not sure if he would be curious enough to try + eat it and although it's digestible you still might have the potential for impaction.

But it sounds like he's doing well, so enjoy him ....it's nice that he's in a good home now + responding very well to proper food + care. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom