Question about my lighting set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

xConMan97

Can some one help on if this all sounds good. For my uvb I use a reptiglo 10.0 uvb. It is the tube kind 18 inches long and its mounted inside of his tank( i ordered 3 reptisun tube lights and they were broke 3 different times so I had to by one at a pet store and they only sell reptiglo) . For his heating at night I just use a che bulb that produces heat but no light so it wont disturb his sleeping. And for basking he has a 100 w repti basking spot lamp which keeps his spot around 90-100. Hese 7 inches long so still small.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds pretty good. What are you using to measure temps? Do you have a good thermometer? Accurate readings are very important so you can adjust your lighting properly. With the UVB tube, put that about 6-8'' right above the basking area and it should provide sufficient UVB across the basking area. The CHE is good for nighttime heat but you don't need it if the enclosure stays above 65 overnight. A dip in temperature overnight is natural and won't harm them. I used my CHE only seasonally in the winter when the temps would go into the high 50s in my house. The CHE bumped the tank temps into the low 70s.

xConMan97

Original Poster
I have 2 anolog thermostats on each side that measure temp and humidity. and for more precise measuring I have a laser heat gun. his basking spot stays around 91-100 depending what spot he bask in, his cool side is 80 and warm side is 88-91

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The analog thermometers can be off by quite a bit but it's a good idea to have ambient readings. The temp gun is key. That will help you really dial in your lighting. I might bump the basking area a little bit. Maybe 100-105. Other than that it sounds really good to me.

xConMan97

Original Poster
ok thanks. and the reptiglo should be ok also? and it is the tube kind, not compact. and thanks for your input btw.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tested those personally, but the tube style bulbs (from what I've seen) provide a much more even distribution of UVB across the basking area so I recommend using those over the coils which provide an intense, narrow cone of UVB. If you've got the thicker T8 bulb then go 6-8'' above the basking spot with it as I mentioned. My tests on other T8 bulbs have shown that is the range for best output.

xConMan97

Original Poster
Not really sure. I ended up using my reptiglow for a while and it seemed to be fine. I dont think it caused any problems. I ended up ordering a reptisun 10.0 tube from LLL reptiles and it came fully intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom