Little nervous about new dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazzaram

Hi guys. My little girl is almost old enough for me to bring her home but I'm a little nervous.

The breeder says she's really friendly and whenever he walks by she always hops at the glass for him to take her out and cuddle her. That's exactly what I'm looking for in a dragon and why I chose her!

I've been going through the forum a lot, just browsing and reading posts. I see a lot of posts about changing temperaments and sudden moodiness and biting... and it makes me nervous!

How can I make this easy on her? I'll have to travel an hour with her to get her home. Should I leave her alone for a couple weeks with no handling or should I start with little handling sessions to get her used to me?

I have a front-opening enclosure and I hope that'll help her feel more secure...

I will take any tips and advice!!!

P.S. I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry!! I don't know how to change that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bring a carrier of some sort for the drive. I use a soccer bag with some small towels at the bottom of it. Anything similar should work well. Bring some wipes in case of messes but other than that, she should be fine on just an hour ride.

Double check the temperatures and make sure you have a good gradient and lighting etc is all ready to go before she gets there. Give her some space at first but stay nearby. Put food in her tank and get her used to your hands being around. Every dragon is a bit different so she may take to handling quickly or may take a while to adjust. Just read her body language. If she seems skittish then ease up a bit. Just be sure to always approach slowly from the front and make sure you support both hands and feet as they don't like to feel off balance when being handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom