Red Basking Light or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was told a red basking light is a poor choice? Is this true? The one I have is an Exo Terra 75w bulb. The box has a bearded dragon on front... at night I use the black night vision bulb.

Hi,apparently the red light is not right,i have one too,an upgrade from how they used to be housed but not right.A Par 38 or appropriate wattage for your need seems to be right,gosh,honestly,its an expensive story this cause everyone says different things.Good luck.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
I am a newbie, but I did a lot of research . . . here is my two cents:

Beardies need (1) general heat source, (2) UVB, (3) hotter basking spot, and (4) something as close to natural sunlight as possible. There are all different types of bulbs out there that achieve one or more of these goals. There are Mercury Vapor Bulbs that supposedly can achieve all of these things, other than heat without light for nighttime. They scare me and are expensive so I decided against that - who knows - maybe I will change my mind in the future.

Assuming that you are not going with a mercury vapor bulb, then you will likely need three items (assuming that your house gets cold at night):

(1) A florescent UVB bulb - for beardies, the consensus (from my research) seems to be that ReptiSun 10.0 UVB tube florescent that runs down a good portion of the cage is probably the safest bet. The compact/coiled UVB bulbs have been associated with eye burning and other health risks, but that was a while back and they could be better now - some say they are better now. I decided not to take the chance.

(2) A white/clear light bulb of a wattage that will create the correct temperature in the basking spot. I have a regular old clearish 50W halogen bulb that gets my basking spot to about 105 degrees F at its current distance. I have been told that 110 is better for juvies, but Pogo gets on and off his basking spot enough that I think the 105 is working for him (he also lays flat on it a lot rather than raising his head up where it is hotter - sometimes he raises his head as well - again, he goes back and forth, and for now I am assuming that that is his way of getting the right amount of heat). Note that this light also heats the cage during the day, so that the cool side stays at around 79-80 degrees F. I had to play with the position of the basking light and spot to get the cool side to the right temp, while also having a good basking spot.

(3) If your house gets cold at night (mine can get to 65 and lower in the winter), then you need a non-lighted heat source at night. From my research, the best bet for that is a Ceramic Heat Emitter. They look like funky light bulbs, but they only emit heat - no light. I have my UVB and basking/heat bulb on a timer - they stay on for 14 hours right now - and when they go off, the CHE automatically goes on. I positioned the CHE so the cage stays between 75 and 80 at night; it also has a dimmer switch, so I can control the heat by "dimming" (not really dimming, but lowering the output) of the CHE, or by moving the CHE closer or farther away from the top of the cage.

Remember the pet stores and product makers are there to SELL products. I think the red colored lights are good for nocturnal reptiles, so they can have heat and some light at night. Beardies are diurnal (like us) - they sleep at night, so light at night is bad (hence the CHEs which make no light).

Note that my cage is 36 by 18 by 18, or 50 gallons. I hope this helps a little. Again, this is all just from my research and how I chose to set up my cage. I am not an expert.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Pogolover, your research has served you well. That's an excellent summary. The pet industry is very keen to sell people anything and everything they will buy - regardless of potential danger or utter uselessness. Putting a lizard on the box is a marketing ploy to trick people into thinking it's good for their animal, unfortunately.

As to red lights, they are not injurious per say, but they could be considered cruel or inhumane - they distort a reptiles vision just as badly or worse as they do for humans. It changes their whole view of the world and is quite unnatural. Keeping them on at night is even worse.

They aren't very well suited to nocturnal animals either - after all no critter realy needs any other light than what they evolved with in nature. Some nocturnal geckos have remarkable color vision at night as well, so no need for red lights :)

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Taterbug":11aby9ol said:
Pogolover, your research has served you well. That's an excellent summary. The pet industry is very keen to sell people anything and everything they will buy - regardless of potential danger or utter uselessness. Putting a lizard on the box is a marketing ploy to trick people into thinking it's good for their animal, unfortunately.

As to red lights, they are not injurious per say, but they could be considered cruel or inhumane - they distort a reptiles vision just as badly or worse as they do for humans. It changes their whole view of the world and is quite unnatural. Keeping them on at night is even worse.

They aren't very well suited to nocturnal animals either - after all no critter realy needs any other light than what they evolved with in nature. Some nocturnal geckos have remarkable color vision at night as well, so no need for red lights :)

Oh, good to know about the nocturnal reptiles (I was just assuming that was what the red light was for). The only nocturnal animals I have ever kept were rats - I love rats - they make great pets if you are willing to put the time in to get them tame - but they can just take normal house temperatures. I started my beardie research after my last rat died (she lived for three years, which is pretty long for a rat).

AmyChris07

Original Poster
Wow so good to know! Gosh I feel so bad... Okay, I will go now to get a white bulb for him. They were sold out when I went to Petco yesterday, so I'll try Walmart/Amazon. Kinda worried about shipping light bulbs though haha

PogoLover

Juvie Member
AmyChris07":1f3r3mj7 said:
Wow so good to know! Gosh I feel so bad... Okay, I will go now to get a white bulb for him. They were sold out when I went to Petco yesterday, so I'll try Walmart/Amazon. Kinda worried about shipping light bulbs though haha

I believe that you can use a regular or halogen white/clear bulb or - it doesn't have to be a special reptile bulb (I hope, because I am using a regular halogen bulb that we already had in the pantry). Getting the wattage right and the distance from the cage in order to produce the right temps is the difficult part.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Par38 spot lamps are popular here (buy from any hardware shop) in the appropriate wattage to give a nice warm basking spot temp, only provide heat and sunlike bright light , then add a good quality compact UV fluorescent or UV tube to provide sufficient UVA and UVB.

Red basking lights are NOT SUITABLE for bearded dragons. Despite the rubbish advice provided by may petshop salespersons (most of whom know diddlysquat about reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom