lighting and terrairum question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawrr

ok, so I get really confused on the lighting thing, so PLEASE.. use layman's terms. I know my Rawrr needs the UVB.. and I want the best for her/him (no we don't know yet).. I made arrangements to pick up a fixture this weekend for just $10.. its new, never used, but they are getting rid of all their stuff... Its a Zoo Med Combination Reptile Hood 30". I want to know if I can use the T5 in this, and if not, which UVB can I use in this to keep as a back up or temp piece until I can find something for the new terrarium I am getting. .. btw, I know you shouldn't used color bulbs, so I wont be using those in the hood.. :)..

Now, for the Terrarium.. I was planning on getting her/him the Exo Terra 36"x18"x18"... but saw where taller is not necessarily better for Bearded Dragons. Is it better to go with that one, or the 36"x18"x"12"? I know the light has to be a certain height above Rawrr, so I want to get the best one ... Ive read so much and have seen that they don't really climb much.. but 6" doesn't seem to be that much...

hope I don't sound too ignorant...

Thanks so much for being patient with me and helping.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
These are good questions. I can definitely help you out. The hood you have is a T8 hood so it will need a T8 bulb. From what I've read it houses a 24'' bulb. I suggest getting a 24'' ReptiSun 10.0 T8 http://www.amazon.com/ReptiSun-10-0-Reptile-Lighting-Fluorescent/dp/B00MV65I94 This has an optimal distance at about 6-8'' so I'd mount it inside the tank about 6-8'' above the top point in the basking area. If you upgrade in the future, you can get a T5 bulb and fixture which has an optimal range out around 12-14'' so it works nicely in larger enclosures.

As for the enclosure, in my opinion you have it backwards. They do tend to love climbing, especially the little ones. I'd get as much space as you can. I think they even make a size taller than the 36x18x18 (24'' tall maybe?) and I'd go for that and build climbs out of sticks and things like that. Put a T5 UVB on top and you'll be in business. I can help you find the proper lighting for it when the time comes. I have the 36x18x18 and like it a lot. It will definitely do the job nicely even for an adult but if I could do it again I'd get the taller one (I don't remember it being available when I got mine). Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Rawrr

Original Poster
would that be the 15 or 18W... I see they have the 24" high exo terra, but might start off with the 18".. the 24" is 300, and I would have to measure the stand when I get it to see if it would fit . its a double tank.. I am hesitant on mounting anything inside.. it scares me a bit.. don't want them getting hurt .. (ours seems to like to leap).. but was talking to a breeder about how to mount the UVB and she said on the top is fine, no plastic brackets, and make sure they are no more then 12 inches from the UVB from the basking area.. Since the tank she is in now is temp.. it will work until my exo terra arrives, which seems to be in Aug if I get it ordered this weekend.. could be wrong.. They could surprise me.. lol.. now, with that hood, can I use the two bulbs that came with this temp set up? its the zilla set up.. two small domes come with it.. I just want to make sure that hood will accommodate the bulbs I have now..

We are dealing with a few scary issues with Rawrr, so if I don't answer, then Im trying to figure her out.. :(

Thanks for your help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 24'' bulb is a 17w I believe. From what I read, that's the only size that will fit your fixture. You could try a different bulb but you'll need a different fixture that fits it. I wouldn't bother with any bulbs inside the screw mounts except maybe a household incandescent for some ambient light. If you have domes, those are great to use for basking lights to provide heat and some bright white light over the basking area. You can put the UVB on top, but I would build a basking spot that is about 6-8'' below it for best exposure. Based on my measurements the output really drops off a lot beyond that with a T8.

Rawrr

Original Poster
The ones I found are on petco and they have a 15w and 18w.. :( Ill have to look for the other..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom