BR40 halogen flood light - Cooperdragon HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
Cooperdragon,

I just read one of ur replies indicating a BR40 HALOGEN flood light could be used for basking. Before coming across ur reply I just tonight switched from an ordinary 60w house light bulb to a Sylvania 75w halogen flood light.

Im guessing all halogen flood lights are NOT created equal. I purchased a Sylvania 75w halogen flood light PAR30LN. I have no idea how that differs from a BR40 & if its safe for my beardie, can you help?? When I google & look at images I see the BR40 is a white bulb, the one I bought is clear textured looking under smooth clear glass. I hope that makes sense.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I can answer & I am sure Cooperdragon will be along to make more remarks, also! :D
The PAR flood lights are fine, whether they are clear or frosted. Since it is a clear bulb then it should be plenty bright. Does it have a CRI reading listed on the box?

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that will be OK. The PAR30 is a little narrower so I'd mount it a little further up to provide a wide enough basking area. PAR38 is the most common size I see recommended on here. The BR bulbs just use a different kind of reflector and bulge outward. There are some differences but I sometimes recommend them because they have a frosted glass front rather than the clear or pocked front which some folks have reported to cause hot spots. Your PAR30 should be fine, just keep a close eye on temperature, width of the basking area (by temperature) - it should be at least as large as the dragon basking in it, and look out for hot spots.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie (aka Drache613),

Thank you for your reply. I don't see anything on the box that references CRI reading. The bulb is keeping the basking spot between 101-105 soIm happy...much better than a house light bulb & they were barely lasting me 1 1/2-2 months.

Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom