high school display enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunl

Hi all,

A few months ago I rescued Pascal, and brought him to my classroom. Here he is:
ry%3D400

I'm going to turn the classroom display case into a habitat for him, and I am looking for lots of ideas regarding this. It is at the back of the class, with the glass side facing out into the hallway:
ry%3D400

To give you an idea of how big, here is a comparison with my hand to the mausosaur fossil in the lower left of the above pic:
ry%3D400

There is a dual outlet plug on the "floor" of the display, and fluorescent lighting overhead (turns on and off with the hall lights). The back of the display in the class locks for security as well. My initial vision is to place tile down, silicon the seams and put sand immediately over the top (camoflaging and hiding the silicone from eyes and dragon). That will help wear down the nails, and make clean up easier. Then, decorate with some driftwood trees, and maybe some sort of live tree if I can find something suitable.

Thoughts, advice, comments all welcome. :)

dunl

Original Poster
Kinda slow here, eh?

Is there a more active bearded dragon forum on the net somewhere?

Thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....so Pascal already resides in the classroom in another enclosure and is used to all the traffic ? That would be my main concern along with kids that are more interested in teasing or even harming him, but I'm a bit on the cautious side about those kind of things.

The case itself is good size, lots of room for him to run + climb. Do you know how you will hang the lights and what type of lighting you'd be using. You might p.m Taterbug, he/she has a tall enclosure and could give you good opinions on lighting. I might suggest using both a mercury vapor bulb as well as a good long tube, either Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12%. Then arrange the logs in a way that he can get within about 2 feet of the bulbs. No doubt you'll post some pics when you're done, it would be really interesting to see. :)

dunl

Original Poster
AHBD":avnqqko0 said:
Hi there....so Pascal already resides in the classroom in another enclosure and is used to all the traffic ? That would be my main concern along with kids that are more interested in teasing or even harming him, but I'm a bit on the cautious side about those kind of things.

Pascal is in a 60g terrarium at the back of the class and for the most part ignores the students, unless they are feeding him or he has come out to visit with them. They're high school students...they're more interested in seeing what he does, than teasing or harming him.

The case itself is good size, lots of room for him to run + climb. Do you know how you will hang the lights and what type of lighting you'd be using. You might p.m Taterbug, he/she has a tall enclosure and could give you good opinions on lighting. I might suggest using both a mercury vapor bulb as well as a good long tube, either Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12%. Then arrange the logs in a way that he can get within about 2 feet of the bulbs. No doubt you'll post some pics when you're done, it would be really interesting to see. :)

Well, for the summer he is coming home with me. As for the lighting, right now I am using fixtures only on the end of a cord, so they can be suspended easily. As for overhead fluorescent, there is one F32T8 fixture, single bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom