Mercury vapor bulb and Heat lights with Dimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhawk

I have read that Mercury vapor bulbs you can't put dimmer on to adjust the temperature. Can anyone confirm this?

Looking a building some new enclosures and buying a Mercury vapor bulb is a cheaper option then buying a UVB, Heat and two light fixtures. But if I can't dim the bulb to adj the heat then it won't work.

While on the topic of dimmers, How many of you have dimmers on your heat lights?

With the new enclosures I will have to wire up the light sockets so adding a dimmer to help adj the temp would be very easy and only cost a few bucks to add.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I had a Zoo Med deluxe dimmer lamp & loved it. I used it w/a reptile heat bulb. Unfortunately, 1 month after I purchased the dimmer lamp the dimmer switch went out & blew the bulb. I was basically left w/an over priced lamp fixture. I returned it to Amazon & use a regular lamp fixture. I've read on-line reviews & others seem to have had similar problems with the dimmers.

warhawk

Original Poster
Thanks for that info I will keep those in mind.

On my gecko rack I have a house dimmer switch wired in so I can adjust the heat tape to get the temps correct for the bins. I was thinking of doing the same sort of setup just to adjust the hot spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom