What Can I Use Instead Of Sand??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, My beardie is about 3-4 Months old i have this repti carpet i am using right now and i am wondering if i can use this for his whole life or do i have to change to sand? Thanks @Steven :blob8: :lol: :eek: :banghead:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can continue to use repti-carpet if you'd like. It tends to get tattered rather quickly when it's washed as frequently as it should be, so it's good to have several sets handy. If you get tired of that, you could switch to a solid substrate like tile which is easy to spot clean and can be baked to sanitize.

Musicmeg

I have used non-adhesive shelf liner in the past. It is cheap and relatively easy to clean. Currently, I am just laying paper towel in their enclosure since it absorbs the waste quickly. Only problem is it is easy for them to shuffle around when they get antsy and their poo misses the mark. I just finished a new enclosure for them and it has linoleum flooring. I will likely keep a paper towel handy if I find they like to go in a particular area. They don't always go in the bath.

jblair89

I currently use repti-carpet as well, but will be switching to slate tile soon. Home depot cuts it to size also. Easy to clean and no impaction risks. Just a thought... :D

WisePrey

I have slate tile in my enclosure. It looks really good and is pretty easy to clean. I use 6" tiles so it's really easy to clean. When he poops all you have to do is take the 1 (maybe 2) tiles out and clean it off.

The even better part is, his nails are filed down naturally so I don't get scratched up when he want's to play around.

jroc2015

if you like the look of sand, and don't want to spend the money on the exo terra sand mats. i made my own using silicone and play sand. basically got a large piece of wood and cut it to fit the vivarium. spread the silicone all over it and stuck the sand to it. you can also glue larger rocks and what not to it. and it looks just as good, maybe even better than the sand mats. you can use gravel or any type of substrate since it will be glued down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom