First Time Beardie Owner - Have I got it set up right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I'm very excited to be getting my first bearded dragon. I'm not getting him until I make sure I have everything set up correctly.

So this is what I have:

Net Geo Reptile Sanctuary 50 gallon (36" x 18" x 18")
Reptile Carpet (for use until he is a year old)
Exo-terra sand mat (for use after he's a year old because there is some pebble fallout)
Ceramic hide/basking spot
Desert tree/climbing thing
Skull to climb on/in
Laguna Beach Reptile soaker (a shallow ramp dish for him/her to soak in)
Reptisun Terrarium Hood 30" (to sit on top of the screen lid)
Reptisun T8 10.0 UVB bulb (high output) 17 watts
Zoomed combo deep dome (I got the combo for the winter while I'll probably need a heat source at night)
75W Exo terra sun-glo infrared spot bulb
I'm using a digital laser gun to monitor temperature
Fluker's Repta Calcium (no phosphorous w/VD3)
Reptical multivitamin

Anything I'm missing or have wrong? Please let me know!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....everything sounds good, you're ready to go . :) My only suggestion is to nix the red bulb and get a white basking bulb. Red is unnatural and most owners don't use them or any colored bulb.

There is debate about leaving a water bowl in the tank....it can raise humidity if it's close to the basking bulb, and some dragons fall asleep in them and that can cause a respiratory infection because the dragon will get chilled [ think of sitting in cold bathwater ]

Other than that, enjoy your new baby and be sure to post pics when you get him [ or her ] :)

musicalbeardie

Original Poster
The infrared bulb in white...so I'm not sure what the infrared means. I got it because it was a tight beam basking light that was supposed to be "intense."

I have the water under a lamp but next to a mesh vent in the side of the tank. I'll probably take it out because he doesn't show much interest in it anyway :p

I'll post pictures once he settles in. I'm so excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom