Mercury Vapor vs. Tubes / Play Sand vs Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

genskiR6

So I went to Houston's only reptile store(<--- I think is crazy.) and I was talking to the lady there about how I was planning on building my beardies new viv. I explained that I was going to affix a reptisun inside the enclosure. Well then this lady went on to tell me that I shouldn't use this for a couple of reasons: 1. They are expensive. 2. I can use a mercury vapor and get UBV and basking at the same time. 3. I wouldn't have to change the bulb out as much.

Well all of this is great but I though about it and if this is the case I thought I would have seen a lot more about the vapor bulbs and which ones to pick. I have only seen amazing things about the reptisun 10.0. With all of this being said, the enclosure will be 48 in long and 24 in high.

Also, just to throw this in there, I explained that I was planning on tiling the floor in the enclosure and she told me to use play sand. I get that it looks more like the desert and they can dig if they like but I would like to get some opinions on this as well.

Any thoughts on this?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
To mount an MVB safely inside you will eat up most of the height and often times people still need an extra bulb for heat. I had a hard enough time with just a heat bulb, but you need to keep 12-16" away from the MVB minimum (it varies by brand).

T5 Tubes area good option IMO. I like them alot. They last as long as the MVB from what I understand (mine is still strong at 6 months) and have a more uniform spread (you can illuminate more of the enclosure with it). Depending on your setup you may still need to mount it 12-14" away but that's more easily accomplished since the bulb+fixture are very small. MVB are more expensive, in the long run. The fixture for the T5 are about $40 and the bulbs $25-30. I've only looked at Megaray MVB and they are about $50.

I need to make one for MVBs but I made this to help summarize the relative strengths of the tube bulbs to help select how to configure them. If you join the UV Meter Owners Group on yahoo! they have test reports for most of the popular bulbs as well as some very helpful experts. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/UVB_Meter_Owners/info

I don't like tile or playsand, so I'm biased. If i had to pick, i would pick tile. It's easier to keep clean, no dust, less likely to harbor nasty bacteria (you still need to clean under it) and its much more stable. Personally, I use a bioactive soil mix, it gives the opportunity to dig real burrows (sand just collapses) and the biological activity works more like a fish tank than a litter box.

genskiR6

Original Poster
Taterbug":2bnczx5q said:
To mount an MVB safely inside you will eat up most of the height and often times people still need an extra bulb for heat. I had a hard enough time with just a heat bulb, but you need to keep 12-16" away from the MVB minimum (it varies by brand).

T5 Tubes area good option IMO. I like them alot. They last as long as the MVB from what I understand (mine is still strong at 6 months) and have a more uniform spread (you can illuminate more of the enclosure with it). Depending on your setup you may still need to mount it 12-14" away but that's more easily accomplished since the bulb+fixture are very small. MVB are more expensive, in the long run. The fixture for the T5 are about $40 and the bulbs $25-30. I've only looked at Megaray MVB and they are about $50.

I need to make one for MVBs but I made this to help summarize the relative strengths of the tube bulbs to help select how to configure them. If you join the UV Meter Owners Group on yahoo! they have test reports for most of the popular bulbs as well as some very helpful experts. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/UVB_Meter_Owners/info

I don't like tile or playsand, so I'm biased. If i had to pick, i would pick tile. It's easier to keep clean, no dust, less likely to harbor nasty bacteria (you still need to clean under it) and its much more stable. Personally, I use a bioactive soil mix, it gives the opportunity to dig real burrows (sand just collapses) and the biological activity works more like a fish tank than a litter box.

Wow! Thanks for such a detailed response. That was what I was hoping for. So I'm going to stick with my initial tube and heat idea and I think I'll stick with the tile. I was actually planning on grouting the tile so it couldn't get anything underneath or between the tiles but in doing that it would be a permanent thing. Whats your opinion on that?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I might use silicon instead of grout if I did that. Might be easier to remove if you just did the seams, if you think you'll change your mind. Grout is porous and I imagine harder to clean. But I've not done either, just a thought. I used to use the pvc foam non-stick shelf liner, didn't care much for stuff getting under tiles and didn't want to commit to sealing them to the floor

genskiR6

Original Poster
Taterbug":2dt048ql said:
I might use silicon instead of grout if I did that. Might be easier to remove if you just did the seams, if you think you'll change your mind. Grout is porous and I imagine harder to clean. But I've not done either, just a thought. I used to use the pvc foam non-stick shelf liner, didn't care much for stuff getting under tiles and didn't want to commit to sealing them to the floor

Silicone! Awesome' thanks so much for your help! I did some reading on the soil and I feel like that's a lot of work for a noob like me. I wouldn't want to spoil it. One day though!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's... Different lol. I Wouldn't say its a lot of work (once it's awtup and estabished) but it is much easier to learn the ropes on tile or something else solid when starting out. :)

genskiR6

Original Poster
Taterbug":3ja6rqh2 said:
It's... Different lol. I Wouldn't say its a lot of work (once it's awtup and estabished) but it is much easier to learn the ropes on tile or something else solid when starting out. :)

Could you post a pic of your enclosure and the soil for me pleeaassee!!?? I would love to see :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Its not quite as nice right now (I had to re-do the sealant on the walls recently so I'm regrowing the plants) He doesn't dig as much as he used to, he mainly perches on his branches in the taller setup.
380a354bf3ccdfed0f4de9046938ff27_zpszqssjeoo.jpg

when he was in a 4x2x2
068A0193-0E77-4CCF-AC1D-A3A78A043CD5_zpsfictwcnk.jpg

He went right to work when it was first setup.
IMG_3033_zpsx8fbzf5m.jpg

A cozy little den
C03FEF36-80A3-4E7A-9B79-DC2E703F5E65_zpsulb5c5om.jpg

He dug out a space under the basking rock too, it was supported with bricks but filled in underneath. he dug it out and would pop in and out.

genskiR6

Original Poster
Taterbug":qjsd39gd said:
Its not quite as nice right now (I had to re-do the sealant on the walls recently so I'm regrowing the plants) He doesn't dig as much as he used to, he mainly perches on his branches in the taller setup.
380a354bf3ccdfed0f4de9046938ff27_zpszqssjeoo.jpg

when he was in a 4x2x2
068A0193-0E77-4CCF-AC1D-A3A78A043CD5_zpsfictwcnk.jpg

He went right to work when it was first setup.
IMG_3033_zpsx8fbzf5m.jpg

A cozy little den
C03FEF36-80A3-4E7A-9B79-DC2E703F5E65_zpsulb5c5om.jpg

He dug out a space under the basking rock too, it was supported with bricks but filled in underneath. he dug it out and would pop in and out.

Wow! That looks so natural! I'm going to have to look into it down the road. Thanks so much! I like how he peeks out at you lol.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I use compact UVB200 globes and P38 spot globes for my beardies.

For the blueongues and water skink, its UVB150 globes and P38 spot globes.

All 5 lizards (2 CBD, 2 BTS , 1 EWS) also have a 7 W heatpad on a thermostat under their hides , the EWS has a 5W heatpad on a thermostat.
The heatpads are sandwiched between tiles and INSIDE the enclosures.

I DON"T use play sand , my beardies are on tiles and their toilet area has absorbant paper towels on it.
The skinks have course Kritters' Krumble and Peak Coir, they love burrowing through it seem to really enjoy the feel of it on their skin especially when shedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom