Carpet is a no-no...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...But I'm sort of backed into a corner.
I'm adopting a sixyo dragon named Maxmillion from my sis's friend. I met him today, and he actually looks really good, despite the fact he has almost never seen a vegetable, had no UVB and is in rather poor living conditions.
Both my sister and her friend deny ANYTHING but carpet is 'the best', but I know that to NOT be true.
I would love to use coir (100% passable, doesn't do humidity too much, and most of all, is safe!) or slate, and unfortunately, I've been backed into a corner, as Max's current owner feels I'm not his best interest, and would rather hold onto him than let me give him a better life. :cry: What.
I feel like I'm being very reasonable, and have tried to explain to both my reasons for turning down carpet, but I'm sorta stuck now.
What would you do?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a tough situation. What kind of carpet are they insisting on? Is it possible to use the carpet at first and then switch to slate? I'd do whatever you can to get the poor guy out of a bad situation with improper lighting and diet.

yellowturtle1

Original Poster
Currently he's living on green 'repti-carpet'.
I could, and it's probably what I will have to do. Compromising and agreeing they're right about something incorrect (which then leads to the spread of false information) just seems wrong.
In the end, you're right, I want to get him into a healthier position.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Repti Carpet isn't too bad. It's not looped which can cause caught nails. It's just a pain to keep clean and sanitary and when you do clean it often enough it can get shabby rather quickly. It's best to have a few sets so you can swap them out while you clean the others etc. I don't think it would cause harm to use that for a while. I like tile because of it's ease to clean but there are much worse options than repti carpet.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If you really want the dragon, tell the guy you made a mistake, that you were thinking about regular carpet not being safe but after some research, you know the repti carpet is ok. Once you have the dragon, you can change the carpet without him ever knowing.

yellowturtle1

Original Poster
Gail":3lzatkl8 said:
If you really want the dragon, tell the guy you made a mistake, that you were thinking about regular carpet not being safe but after some research, you know the repti carpet is ok. Once you have the dragon, you can change the carpet without him ever knowing.
(I don't know to quote two things :lol: )
You guys both make very good points. It's very likely she'll never see Mr Max again, so quickly changing it out, I think, would work very well. Thank you!
I'm buying slate today for the switcheroo :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom