Substrate Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jroid33

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, I was wanting to know about your thoughts on a burrowing substrate. I was thinking of getting clay/mud like substrate. I know that loose substrates could be bad, but I've heard of people have theirs fine with a loose substrate. If I changed from crickets to Phoenix Worms and Greens, I would feed him in a bowl so its not as dangerous. I would like him to be able to dig and burrow, and have a more natural ground. Any suggestions or comments are welcome :D

Jroid33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":81ghkgay said:
You could build a separate dig box using a mixture of soil and moist sand (most enough to support a dug cave). These are often used for gravid dragons ready to lay eggs. If you want to have a loose substrate in your enclosure, you may want to look into creating a bioactive substrate. http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/bioactive-soil-as-a-substrate-choice.11152/
I've been looking at getting Zoo Med's Excavator clay. Before you tell me so negatives, heres my plan. I will have the Clay over the tile I currently use. Then, I will have 1/4 of he tank tile, so in case I gave him crickets, there would be a decent amount of space to chase and avoid dirt. Is this a good idea or not?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Plenty of people use the excavator clay (I haven't) but it was my understanding that it hardens quite a bit after it's installed so it isn't suitable for digging. I've heard that it can crack and flake and be a pain to clean. You'll probably want something softer to allow for digging. Perhaps you could run a test using your current substrate but putting in a pile of shredded fleece or similar so he can dig around in that a bit. Not ideal but it would be easy to test, allow for digging, and not make much of a mess.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've not tried the excavator clay but I have read it's expencive for the amount you get. Supposedly depending on how you mix it you can keep it softer? But I'm not sure, I don't like the look of it so I haven't bothered.

You could try leaves (or dried greens) in a "dig" area but nothing will hold a natrual burrow like dirt, in the end. I use bioactive for my whole cage and when he was into digging Pepper preferred to dig under rocks to make a cave. If I didn't use soil I'd probably make dens out of stacked rocks to replicate that.

Jroid33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":159385h3 said:
I've not tried the excavator clay but I have read it's expencive for the amount you get. Supposedly depending on how you mix it you can keep it softer? But I'm not sure, I don't like the look of it so I haven't bothered.

You could try leaves (or dried greens) in a "dig" area but nothing will hold a natrual burrow like dirt, in the end. I use bioactive for my whole cage and when he was into digging Pepper preferred to dig under rocks to make a cave. If I didn't use soil I'd probably make dens out of stacked rocks to replicate that.
I plan on making premade tunnels for him. I can try making it softer by applying extra water. At the most, I could put some soil or some other digging material.

Derz13

Jroid33 did you ever end up using the excavator clay? Curious about how it holds up I was considering using it in my enclosure.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
So what i have in my enclosure is a sectioned off area that has some sand in it, he doesnt dig but likes to sleep on it since it has a UTH. I have walls surrounding it so that he doesnt fling it around everywhere. the wall also helps with keeping the food items away from the sand, but Fred has never had any issues in terms of eating his substrates.
3/4th is all slate tile
84843-2106764540.jpg
then small section walled off with sand for sleepy time.
84843-5844171699.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom