lighting concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

qronus

I am a new beardie owner, and believe i may have made a mistake upon purchasing my UVB bulb. i had read the the coild are bad, so i of course avoided them.
upon further inspection, i believe i may have made a mistake.

http://turtleshack.com/store/images/zm_10_coil.jpg
i though that this type wasnt a coil, because my local pet store didnt have any real tubes - and these looked like tubes to me.

my question is if this bulb is bad, will my baby quincy be okay for a while with it? how long?
i guess all new owners make mistakes, but i wont have the funds to get a new bulbs for a while.
that being said, where is a cheap place to buy the correct bulbs?

qronus

Original Poster
okay.

i called my local pet store and got the okay to trade my coil for a tube without charge, so the price does not matter anymore.

i have a 12'' (30 cm) fixture currently (for a 20g tank, for a young juvie) what size tube would best work for a fixture that size?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Sounds like you have a dome or other screw in type fixture? You will need one that accepts a tube, so you might need to buy one. What tubes does your store offer?

qronus

Original Poster
Taterbug":k0l0z20m said:
Sounds like you have a dome or other screw in type fixture? You will need one that accepts a tube, so you might need to buy one. What tubes does your store offer?
yes, i have a hood type fixture at the moment. its really small so i was unsure if there were even any tubes that would fit at all, so i was already making plans to buy a much larger one - however, that could be a while. a month or two, maybe?

i just got my baby so i spent lots of money on all the fixings, so i need some time to get my funds back together before i can buy a new fixture.

that being said, when i called my store to ask about trading the coil for a tube, they said they could order any type for me. theyre a smaller store and not commercial, so they dont carry any instore but have no problem ordering a tube for me to come in and pick up - so really i could get anything. of course, im planning on a reptisun 10.0, just need to figure out sizes. if 18'' is the smallest the tubes go, would you say mounting it inside would be cheaper than buying a fixture?

also, is no uvb better than compact uvb? i dont know if i should have the compact bulb on anymore or whats best for quincy. would he be better off if i just took him outside every day instead of using a bad bulb? sorry for all my questions! i appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom