crushed walnut shell bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi peeps,
just got a new year and a half old beardie and he hates living on paper towels. I've tried calcium sand with my other Beardies but it's so dusty and fine it gets under the scales and dyes them red/pink until the shed. I got some walnut shell sand and is not as fine and has no dyes but I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with it.
thx,
MyAngelLokki

Gail

BD.org Addict
walnut shells are terrible, they have very sharp edges and if the dragon east any it can cut up their insides. It also causes impactions. There really isn't really any safe loose substrate, play sand is about the best and even then only for adult dragons.
You still have to deal with dust but its the least likely to cause impaction. Have you looked into slate tile? You can have it cut to fit you cage bottom, it looks nice and is easy to clean. If you get the rougher kind, the dragon won't slip on it and it can even help keep her nails filed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom