How close is too close to the basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so been a min since my last post. I'll try to keep this short. Groot passed. Accidental frying by my fiance... 100w bulb... Sheldon is alive and well. We have made upgrades to his tank. Sandmat, UVB hood, large 1/2 log, heating rock, water thing which he actually gets upset if there isn't a water source, and then there's his tried and true branch... Which I myself think is bad for him.. I think he gets too close to the light. As in 2" or closer to the light. But he SULKS if its not there. Same with his teddy bear... But I am not sure if that should be in there either...

beardedwoman86

Original Poster

This is how close he used to get to it. With a 60w incandescent bulb. About 4" or so away... Even when we first got the 75w he was further. And also we used to use a moonlight bulb for heating at night. But idk if he should have that... Am I just a nervous nelly???

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
No lights at night are best, really. nice and dark :) there are non-light emitting heaters (like a che) for night time if its too cool.

really, you don't want your lizard closer than 6" to any light bulbs, the further the better. Too close and they can risk thermal burn from the light, there can be hotspots that wouldn't be a problem at 12-14' away that are very intense right up by the light. You can get stands to hang your lights off the cage top, its much easier to adjust that way. Then he would be able to keep his beloved branch. How are you monitoring the temperatures, by the way?

A word of caution, the electrical hot rocks are not really a good heat source for any reptile. In years past they have been known to short out and cause terrible burns. Reptiles will tend to try and sit on the rock to stay warm but since they don't heat up the environment the animal can stay too cool and end up hurting itself.

beardedwoman86

Original Poster
Thankfully I kept my receipt! I think I will send my fiance back to return the heat rock. Which was pricey. And get a 100w and a stand. + a ceramic emitter... We have the folded bulb to return as well. I busted up part of the branch to get him further and "made a compromise" I put his teddy bear back in with him. He had been sulking without it... If you can believe that... He seems ok enough with a couple pieces off now that his bear is back.

SDragon

Juvie Member
I don't think you are being a nervous nelly, in fact you seem remarkably blasé about it. How did the other dragon overheat? Are you measuring the temperatures properly? I wouldn't worry about the teddy bear, he really doesn't need it and if it is making it harder to regulate the basking spot he would be better off without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom