Viv comments and suggestions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New set up of mine for my new red beardie named Opie. Looking to hear some suggestions, the good, the bad and anything else that can be added cosmetic or necessities. My biggest question is the uvb lighting. It's a T8 10.0 Reptisun shining through the screen. I know screens can block a good chunk of light so i'm wondering if i need to upgrade to the T5 lights. He's anywhere from 7 to 16 inches from the light when basking in the heat lamp so i'm wondering If a T5 is too powerful from some of those distances. Maybe get a new light and raise it off the screen a bit? Or is the t8 just fine? Here's the picture, hopefully I posted them correctly. Also he's usually not in the spot in the corner, he's usually on the front side of the branches.

Ibanezmunky

Original Poster
According to that chart I'm below what I should be. The best option is a un reflected fixture with a t5 10.0. Not sure how I would mount that on top of the screen though. Any thoughts?

Ibanezmunky

Original Poster
According to that chart I'm below what I should be. The best option is a un reflected fixture with a t5 10.0. Not sure how I would mount that on top of the screen though. Any thoughts?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Ibanezmunky":1lyirver said:

If your after the sunbeam method (this is what I go for as well) I'd just use a reflected 10.0 and suspend it a little off the screen. You can buy a stand for it or make one out of pvc pipes or other hardware. There are DIY tutorials for grow light stands. I use sunblaster fixtures (second column for the T5 readings now where did the labels go :0 ) they have a slightly less effective reflector tha some of the arcadia setups. For through the screen between aboutt 8-12" away would be fine. They are brighter too which is a plus.

You could also cut the screen away and/or replace it with a screen with wide holes and use the T8. But I agree with acceptable, I love my T5s.

You can also adjust the locations of furnishings etc so that they are the appropriate distance away - measured straight out from the bulb.

Ibanezmunky

Original Poster
I think I'll go with the t5 10.0, especially since i found them on clearance at petsmart for under 10 bucks!!! Sounds like there moving stuff around in their aisles and they might not sell them anymore? I ended up buying 2 of them and considering buying out the other two for that price. Makes buying a fixture a lot easier too. Thanks for all the advice everybody!

Ibanezmunky

Original Poster
My basking bulb was a 100 W but I just switched it out to a 75 W. Beardie was opening mouth a bit much and never basking directly below it. Infrared thermometer showed temps up to 120ish in certain spots so i'll give the lower wattage a shot. The other bulb is just a 25 w led for extra light, doesn't give much heat off.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I use a high wattage halogen on a stand so I can raise and lower to sail in the basking temps. It also spreads more heat to the entire warm side of tank.

Ibanezmunky

Original Poster
Thats a good idea, im going to purchase a light stand and adjust it accordingly with the 100 w. Amazon prime is amazing fyi, it makes these little purchases a bit easier on the wallet (after you make up for the upfront $100).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom