Self-ballasted MVB question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graceface

Hi all, so I'm thinking of rescuing a beardie from my local rescue, but they are extremely picky and I don't want to get turned down for not following their requirements. One requirement is that they require a self-ballasted mercury vapor bulb. So I got some questions for ya. 8)

I've read that these bulbs produce great heat and UVA, but that they aren't the greatest with UVB output. Is this true?

Also, would I be able to use this MVB as my basking bulb in addition to a UVB light like the reptisun 10.0 or would that be TOO much UVB?

Thank you guys! I've literally been on here off and on for a year doing research and you've all been a big help lol.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Check out the uv meter owners group on yahoo or reptile lighting group on Facebook. They have lots of good info and the Tajik group has spread charts for most bulbs that would help you position them. They can require a separate basking light though - some run too cool when mounted at the correct distance.

As far as my reading has gotten me megaray are excelent bulbs for uvb/uva. You would need to be mindful of the arrangement of the bulbs if you combine them but it can be done to good effect. A meter is an expencive but useful investment for advanced lighting setups (and getting the longest life from your bulbs). Is your reptisun a T8 or T5?

graceface

Original Poster
Thank you! I haven't gotten the reptisun yet, not sure if I should get the t5 or t8.
I'll probably just stick with the reptisun and a halogen basking bulb. I don't think the rescue would refuse me a beardie without the mvb but we'll see!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
graceface":2akyj9wh said:
Thank you! I haven't gotten the reptisun yet, not sure if I should get the t5 or t8.
I'll probably just stick with the reptisun and a halogen basking bulb. I don't think the rescue would refuse me a beardie without the mvb but we'll see!

A properly setip T5 bulb will have simialar uvb output as a MVB, persoanlly i wknt use T8 bulbs for dragons anymore, they are too weak. Even still, a T5 could be setup with an MVB but again take care not to make too intense of an area where they overlap.

Talk to them and see why they require them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom