My UVB is hot to the touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

19nick93

Hatchling Member
This may be a stupid question, but I figure I'll ask any way. So I decided to upgrade my lighting in my 20 gallon tank for my baby beardie. I got a 24" Reptisun 10.0 along with a $10 under the counter Walmart fixture. It's mounted inside the cage. As I was adjusting his heat lamp today my hand got close to the UV bulb, and it was very hot. Is this normal? I know they don't emit much heat, but it almost burned my hand. The fixture that I bought has the same wattage as the Reptisun bulb so I know they go hand in hand. Do your UV bulbs get almost burning hot?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They don't tend to put out a lot of heat (relatively) but if you go right up and touch them they can be pretty warm. I don't think that's abnormal. It's a good reason to keep the bulb out of reach of a dragon though. Closer than 6'' isn't usually recommended.

19nick93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright, that's what I was hoping to hear. I wasn't sure if the fixture was bad or something. Thanks Cooper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom