acrylic sliding front cage from glasscage.com. height Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arachniac

I'm looking at two grey acrylic sliding front cages from glasscages.com, the first is:
- 50 gal. Long grey acrylic with sliding front doors (glass or acrylic, I'm guessing price is w/glass)
48x18x13h" $201 (plus $35 for screen top, and $36 for pick up in Tampa, fl).
- OR -
- 65 gal. Grey acrylic with same sliding front doors 48x18x17 $218 (plus screen and pick up fee)

They also make a 25"h...didn't check price.

Originally, I thought the 13" would be best to get best uvb coverage (I'll be using the 34" reptisun Ho 10.0 bulb and 36" Reptisun HO hood.w/reflector) And a basking light. But then I realized my baby dragon won't have much vertical climbing space. So I thought the 17" would be better (I plan on sitting uvb ballast hood/reflector on top of screen) I'm not comfortable with no screen... I'm afraid my baby dragon will jump out from top of basking log.

Can anyone tell me what the best height is! These cages are right in my price range, if you know of a better cage around 250 delivered that's 48x18x?"h I'd love to know. I can't build one.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the UVB a T5? If so, then it should be mounted at about 12'' above the basking spot. I've found that an 18'' height works well for that, so I'd shoot for something similar like the 48x18x17. It's good to be able to provide some vertical space for climbing - they tend to really enjoy it.

arachniac

Original Poster
Thanks @cooperdragon. Yes, it's the reptisun T5 10.0 high output bulb and T5 high output hood w/reflector. One other question, for a 48" long cage, should I get the 36" long hood/reflector T5 or go to the 48" T5 hood/reflector to cover entire cage top? He'll have a hide on the cool and warm end, to get away from the light if he wants... thanks again! Just about 2 weeks till my rescue baby leatherback arrives! Can't wait!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK with the T5, go with the sizes I mentioned previously. That will be a nice setup. You'll want the UVB bulb to run at least 1/2 the length of the enclosure so the 36 will be plenty but if you want to go with the 48, that's fine too as long as the hides are available. I run my UVB the whole length of my 36'' tank and it works well.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you run the uvb tube the length of the enclosure you'll want more than just a hide, plan a few areas of shade as well. It's easier to provide a gradient with a shorter bulb and these lights are intense enough they don't need to be the entire cage in size.

Personally I'd also go with the 25" height but I'm a sucker for big cages and my goober loves to climb.

arachniac

Original Poster
Thanks Taterbug. I'll keep that in mind! I think I'm going to stick with the 36" uvb t5 hood/reflector. If I go with the 25" h cage, do I have to mount the uvb inside the cage? Cause with that hood, attached to the back wall, all the uvb light would be shining straight out the front doors and would be blocked on the bottom by the edge of the hood. Or does some place sell a corded ballast with reflector facing down for the t5 high output bulb? Dang, just when I think I'm finished with getting a list of things to order, I get another idea to make a list for! It's giving my OCD a workout!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Any T5 (and ideally any light at all) needs to be mounted overhead and in a way that your animal won't be inclined to look into it. Even safe bulbs can be harmful to the eyes of the dragon takes to looking into them.

There are many corded options, check Amazon or lightyourreptiles.com has kits that come with an arcadia 12% bulb.

I use sunblaster fixtures (they have ceiling mount clips) and keep the basking area about 12-14" away (no screen) as cooper suggests - this gives an ideal basking level of UVB. It's a lot easier to raise the basking site than to add hight to the cage later ;) You also don't need full UVB exposure everywhere. Remeber as the dragon thermoregulates it's instinct is to seek warmth from sunlight and cool off in the shade. So if the cool area is further away then the lower level of UV is fine, these bulbs have pretty good reach (2+ feet') before they are completly ineffective. So anyway, as long as you can mount it on the ceiling you could do either way, just plan the basking area accordingly.

Do you know what kind of screen they use? A fine screen will filter more uvb than one with big holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom