Basking bulb: halogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anwyn

Now while I was away my lizard-sitters had to grab an emergency replacement basking bulb when it burnt out and found a regular 70W spot at the shops. (I ordered a new reptile spot bulb online to get delivered for them.)

I've noticed that Mort is MUCH happier with the 70W slightly lower temp on her basking spot. (about 95F) But my local reptile shop only sells 100W or 70W that are much smaller bulbs/fittings - as they mainly stock smaller reptiles.

So really, I'm just trying to work out if the reptile bulbs are just normal incandescents? And would a halogen also produce enough heat to work for a basking spot? Taking into consideration I might need a different watt equivalent.

I ask because I'd like to support local shops generally but regular incandescent bulbs are, naturally, not sold here unless you can find old stock somewhere. Everything is the eco-friendly nonsense now, which drives me nuts with my art studio lighting too... but I digress... I can get halogens pretty much anywhere. Otherwise I can order the spots from the online reptile shop, no problem.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
As far as I've been able to find the reptile bulbs aren't much more than regular bulbs with a lizard on the box.

I prefer halogens and that's what I currently use. I've used incandecent a too, but they don't direct the light like the halogens do (I don't use domes) and take more energy. I use a 65W halogen vs a 100-150W incandecent. There are also incandecent shaped halogens, I used those for a while and they were ok.

The catch with the internally reflected bulbs (spot or flood) is that the beam can be too narrow (in the case of spot lights or if they are too close). I found the outdoor type with a lens made some really small hot spots and left the rest of the basking site too cool. You want the baskig site uniform for at least the size of the lizard.

anwyn

Original Poster
Great to hear you use halogens. I'll give those a try and grab some when I'm in town. I'm home all day so can do a test run and see how the temps and distribution looks.

Mort has always been an off-centre basker anyway. No idea why, but she rarely will sit right centre under the bulb. We're tried all different arrangements and that's just her thing. :)

Mildew

I use halogens as well. I find the PAR38s the best diameter as it throws out a wide angle and gives a good basking gradient.

anwyn

Original Poster
well yesterday I grabbed a 60W spot just to have it and she is happy as Larry! :) Basking happily, more active, not hiding, eating her salad. Just like when the 70W was in there. It's keeping the basking spot at about 100F though I realize that may dip after using the bulb the first few days.

Will grab a halogen in town tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom