Mercury Vapor Bulbs - Alternative to Ceramic Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ4LIFE

Hi Everyone,
This weekend I'll be building 3 x custom racks (all the same), 4ft x 2ft x 2ft.
I absolutely HATE having a deep dish dome for my mercury vapor bulbs, because they take up too much room on the top of an enclosure - I'm trying to keep everything square, lined and streamlined (ok, I'm a bit of an OCD perfectionist). I went out and bought a bunch of reptile 24" UVB florescent bulbs with the plastic hood so that I can mount it into the ceiling of the wooden cabinet, but the instructions say they are meant to be placed on top of a screen lid (despite me seeing MANY custom enclosures with the mounted inside). So, now I'm thinking of reverting back to the all in 1 MVB's, and while I potentially could take out the ceramic socket from the dome and hang the bulb (securely) through the ceiling of the custom enclosure, I don't like this dangling business.

QUESTION: Is there an alternative that I can use for mercury vapor bulbs, besides the ceramic socket, to mount it securely into the ceiling of the custom enclosure? My home depot and lowes has porcelain bases, as seen here:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/porcelain-lamp-holder-with-leads/905883

Are those safe to use with MVB's or will the base get too hot and burn the wood its mounted into (ceiling)?

Please help

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What fixtures did you get? I would think as long as the ballast can get enough ventilation it should be ok. If the vents for the hood are on top of the housing then that would be a problem. The T5 fixtures usually for well on the top of the cage, and the output strength is similar to an MVB.

I'd worry with the MVB bulb that you'll be pushing it as far as safe distance. What brand are you using? I can't help with the socket question, I've not used MVB bulbs.

DJ4LIFE

Original Poster
The MVB's are either the Powersun or Sunglo, either or.
I've considered just using an electrical ballast open with the UVB tube (yes the venitailation for the hood is on top) and using a flood lamp as others have suggested using a normal socket, however, an MVB would be ideal

Anyone else know if I can use an MVB in the socket i mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom