Question regarding pine board...please answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I went and bought all of the materials today to build my enclosure for my bearded dragon. I am building a 36 x 24 x 24 crossfire enclosure. The only question I have is, for the top board, rather than using melamine for the board on the top, I picked out a nice pine board, because I wanted natural wood on top that I could stain. So, for the inside of the enclosure, should I leave that pine board natural, untreated? or do I need to seal it? It will be the ceiling, where the lights will be mounted, I don't plan on staining the inside, just the top outside.
If I could get some answers quickly, I would appreciate it, because I am planning on building this enclosure rather quickly. I only have a week off of school, and I want to have it completed before I go back.
Thanks so much!

Newbabyowner

Original Poster
!4 people have viewed this and nobody has replied!!
Doesn't anyone know?? I really need an answer, I searched the board, and I couldn't find a definite answer... I don't want to kill my baby. Please, will someone answer me?

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Hello,

Im fairly certain that Pine is one of the types of wood that is toxic to beardies. You might want to consider something else.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I thought I did respond to this - sorry.

Pine contains compounds that can be irritating to small animals and reptiles, since our animals will spend lots of time in confined spaces many people choose to avoid it. If its well sealed you should be ok... However, might I suggest an oak board instead (or oak plywood since this is the lid)? Oak is not harmful and is easier to stain (pine tends to be blotchy for me).

You will want to seal any exposed wood as well as the exposed edges of the melamine to prevent moisture damage.

Newbabyowner

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the replies! I am going to play it safe and just use the melamine that I used for the rest of the cage. I will post pictures when I am finished. I appreciate the help, thanks again!
Amy

I am planning to use birch plywood for the enclosure I am building and sealing it with water based sealant. The framework will probably be pine as that is what most of the 2x2 boards are made of, but I am planning on sealing them really good.

I am putting in vents in mine, but I might install a slow moving fan to keep the air moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom