Is this a good starter kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into owning a BD. I'm not sure how people feel about starter kits but while doing my research I came across this one which was put together with the help of a Facebook Group called Bearded Dragons UK.

I wanted opinions on the contents of the kit and whether it is a good starter. If I were to buy this I think the only other things I would need to buy would be a basking surface, a timer and possibly a CHE and dome. I'm new to this though so I'd be grateful if you could point out anything I might have missed.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-starter-kits-417/bearded-dragon-starter-kits-1509/swell-bduk-bearded-dragon-starter-kit-381516.html

Thanks very much

CashmereSkeleton

Original Poster
Hi Taterbug,

Oddly enough I actually have one of those! I have CHE's set up for my hedgehog, bought a White Python bulb at the recommendation of the shop owner but when I got home it was too short to fit into the dome I have! :lol: But I'm glad it might come in handy for a BD if needed :D

I'm also glad that this kit looks decent. I tried to find a similar one but none really came close. Is there anything important that is missing? I'm still researching BD's but it's nice to know that this is a good option.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
CashmereSkeleton":czaw47wp said:
Hi Taterbug,

Oddly enough I actually have one of those! I have CHE's set up for my hedgehog, bought a White Python bulb at the recommendation of the shop owner but when I got home it was too short to fit into the dome I have! :lol: But I'm glad it might come in handy for a BD if needed :D

I'm also glad that this kit looks decent. I tried to find a similar one but none really came close. Is there anything important that is missing? I'm still researching BD's but it's nice to know that this is a good option.

Nothing jumps out at me other than furniture and the timer which you already mentioned.

I'm a big fan of lots of furnishings, but not over crouded. Branches and rocks etc for climbing especially for a little one. Even my sub-adult is up and down his branches all day. He also likes snug, more natural hides (I've used stacks of rocks, or he gets between some branches) over the cave or half log type ones but that sort of preference you won't know till you get your little one :)

The uvb is good - it looks like a T8 but with a reflector and given the height of the cage it will be fine. If it needs to be mounted in the center, give some shade on the cool side.

You'll need somewhere for and something to feed the insect prey.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
CashmereSkeleton":2u7jlbah said:
I hadn't thought of that. What would you recommend?
For bugs? Depends on what you plan to feed and how many you want to keep. I have my roaches in an old fish tank, my morio worms in a plastic tub and silkworms in little plastic tubs.

I feed fresh produce to the bugs, and chow to the silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom