Lighting a 36" Exo Terra (new to Dragons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankH

I am planning to get a young Bearded Dragon soon and am gathering as much info and materials as I can before I make the plunge. I have purchased a Exo Terra large reptile terrarium (36x18x18") and am considering many options to light it correctly.

I was thinking a 150w basking light on one end, and a 24" t5ho UVB (reptisun 10.)

Right now I have a 150w T-Rex bulb and a piece of driftwood laying on top of some rocks, about 10 inches from the bulb and the temperature is only around 85. I dont think I want more wattage, so I need to find some bigger furniture for my future pet.

Please let me know what type of fixture you recommend for these bulbs, or if you feel I can do better with my bulb selection.

Hey, I have a terrarium with the same demensions as you. I use a 24 inch uvb, a 100 watt basking light and a 75 watt night light that stays on 24/7 and it is more then enough heat for him! with all his lights on his cage gets easily past 100 degrees. Id say instead of the 150 watt basking light you should probly just get a 100 watt basking light, the uvb, and a 75-100 watt nightlight. the nightlight is kindof neccisary, it keeps them from freezing at night.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the same tank and use a 150w basking bulb on an adjustable stand at about 19'' up. I have a second stand with a ceramic heat emitter that goes on overnight during the winter. It's 25'' up and gets the tank into the low-mid 70s. I have a T5 Arcadia UVB light in a reflective fixture at 34'' and it sits along the top. I don't have any other pets so I took the top screen off to allow full light to get through. There are a few hides to allow my dragon to get out of the light and self regulate as needed.

76248-6015069620.jpg

76248-2823883230.jpg

FrankH

Original Poster
Cool, thank you very much for the pics and the reply.

Im guessing that because my doors/windows are closed and there is no airflow in my home that is why my temps in the basking spot is much higher now - 105f and I haven't changed a thing.

Im glad Im experimenting with this without an animal in there! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
105 is a pretty good basking spot temp. The temperatures will fluctuate with seasons so that's why I use the adjustable lamp stands. I move the lights up and down as the house temps change (I don't use the CHE at all except during cold winter months). A lamp dimmer will work well for this too if your height is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom