Light Fixture & Using 2 T8 bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone,

So i have a question. I have found a fixture @ Lowes that uses T8 bulbs but that uses 2 of them. Would that be too many watts for a dragon?

The total watts would be 34 watts, and the bulbs would be 24 inches.

Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far away are you planning to mount them? T8 bulbs are fairly low output so I wouldn't think it's too much.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My enclosure is 2 feet tall and they will be mounted inside. A dragon would be able to get within 10 inches of the light or I can adjust it closer/further depending on the needs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be fine. I wouldn't mount it further than 10'' from the basking spot though. The output drops off quite a bit past 6-8 inches (but you'll still want to keep it at a safe, unreachable distance).

danielt7

All that work setting up my enclosure with a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 T8. The one everyone and their grandmother said to get, and now I have to redo everything for a ****ING T5 HO? Dammit!!!

danielt7

Please excuse my tone. Just getting frustrated. I want everything to be right and nobody is replying to my questions! Google is no help either...

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
danielt7":2umbskvt said:
All that work setting up my enclosure with a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 T8. The one everyone and their grandmother said to get, and now I have to redo everything for a ***** T5 HO? Dammit!!!

I felt the same way about the lights :/

Do not despair though.
If you have the T8 setup properly it will still be good. A reflector is ideal though - the under cabinet fixtures really are not a good solution. The T5 have the advantage of more light and more powerful output, meaning it can be mounted further away. Setip properly both lights can achieve the needed output.

danielt7

It's like new cell phones. Once you have the one you want. It'll be obsolete when you wake up tomorrow. I had a bearded dragon for a year. Had to sell him a while back. He did great with the lights I have. Now I want to get another beardie. But this time I'm gonna have everything ready before I buy another little guy. Last time was hectic. Bought a bearded dragon. He basically sat on my shoulder for 7 hours while I built his enclosure. Lol

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
danielt7":8vwibr2k said:
It's like new cell phones. Once you have the one you want. It'll be obsolete when you wake up tomorrow. I had a bearded dragon for a year. Had to sell him a while back. He did great with the lights I have. Now I want to get another beardie. But this time I'm gonna have everything ready before I buy another little guy. Last time was hectic. Bought a bearded dragon. He basically sat on my shoulder for 7 hours while I built his enclosure. Lol

If you are getting new lights i would get the T5 hands down. If you aren't I'd consider it for the next bulb replacement.

danielt7

Hahaha I'm an *****. I didn't know what T5 meant. Lol I'll make this easier. My enclosure is 60x26x26 so what size bulb do I need and what size fixture will it fit in?

danielt7

Ok, I got the bulb and the fixture. (ZooMed, Reptisun 10.0, T5)
The fixture came with a 5.0, but the lady at Petsmart was generous enough to let me swap the bulb for a 10.0! Score!
Now to figure out how to mount it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom