keeping warm during the winter nights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett86

Im still new to owning a bearded. My guy/gal is doing great...I havent sexed him yet. I live in Southern CA so winter nights don't get too cold but they do hit mid 40's at times. Right now my night temps hit high 60's and he sleeps burrito'd in a towel and he seems to love it. How do I keep him warm during those colder winter nights? I've read that red lamps throw off their sleeping patterns and can throw off digestion true or false? Ive also read about under tanks heat pads burning them...If i put a undertank heater and burrito him up in his towel and place that towel over the heated area will that work?

Thanks for any advice and ideas that you use as well

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Pick up a ceramic heat emitter - puts out heat and no light.

But yeah, bulbs can disrupt their sleep and other things - if you can see the light from the bulb so can they. Under-tank heating pads are generally not useful since they don't warm the air. They can be pretty dangerous if not used properly, but can be used safely with a thermostat.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ceramic heat emitters work great. For a 40 gallon tank, a 150 watt would be too high. They need it cooler at night in order to be able to sleep well. To give you an example, I use a 60 watt in my 40 gallon breeder and I have it on the same side as she sleeps but never directly over her.

I've used different brands and haven't had any bad luck with any of them. They have lasted many years.

MrSpaceEcho

diamc":2dlz0o8y said:
The ceramic heat emitters work great. For a 40 gallon tank, a 150 watt would be too high. They need it cooler at night in order to be able to sleep well. To give you an example, I use a 60 watt in my 40 gallon breeder and I have it on the same side as she sleeps but never directly over her.

I've used different brands and haven't had any bad luck with any of them. They have lasted many years.

What would you recommend for a beardie that chooses multiple spots to sleep over the course of a week? Would it be safe to just put it on the cool side of the tank?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, you could put it on the cool side. I always check to see where they end up sleeping each night & adjust accordingly so that in the winter it isn't too far away from them or directly over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom