Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:29 pm

I think the key here is its better to be safe than sorry.

Maybe some temp guns don't perform as well further away? So what does it hurt to put a blanket suggestion on the distance of 2 inches? It doesn't hurt.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16497
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby Zaxtor99 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:32 pm

claudiusx wrote:You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

-Brandon


Isn't the purpose of these forums to give out, share, and help each other discover "truth" and weed out myths and the rumors such as "this guy said blah blah blah" and he works for this pet store so it has to be right?

My point is that the OP original statement that "some guy" said that ALL infared guns have to be used 2" away for it to be accurate. I don't know about you, but "ALL" would seem to include the infared temperature gun that I purchased on Amazon, would you disagree with that?

Now the manufacturer of my gun has it written on the side of the gun that it can be used 18" away from the laser point. Why would the gun's own manufacturer put "B.S." about how to use the gun on their own product?

Now you say that it doesn't matter, that I am making a mountain out of a molehill. - Really? I'm sure that some people might like the fact that they may not have to get the gun 2" from the spot they are trying to measure the temperature of, at least with some infrared guns. Imagine someone short who might have to get a chair just to get up high enough to where they can get the gun down inside their reptiles cage just so they can get the gun a mere 2" from the laser point. You think that convenience of not needing to get a chair and stick their hand inside the cage is irrelevant?

It's more then that though. It's the simple fact that it was said "EVERY INFRARED GUN, NO MATTER BRAND OR MAKE HAS TO BE 2" WAY FOR ACCURACY". That is obviously not correct! Now I could understand if it had been worded "for the best chance of accuracy, the shorter the distance, the better it is because as the gun gets further away, the size of area for the temperature read widens" but that isn't what was said. What was said was inaccurate. The fact is that the infrared gun DOES NOT need to only be 2" away for an accurate reading with every gun, every time.

If I posted a new thread stating that such and such guy told me that "every beardie should eat a minimum of 15 marbles crushed to a fine powder for good health" and that is HAS to be correct because "he said so"... would someone who disputed that after 10 people said "oh okay thanks!" also be making a mountain of a molehill?

I think you see my point. Maybe it's meaningless to you, but I am sure that someone out there might be happy to know there is at least one infrared gun out there that doesn't require them to get their hand down inside their cage and be only two inches away to get an accurate temperature reading.
Image
Zaxtor99
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Nampa, Idaho, USA

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Zaxtor99 wrote:
claudiusx wrote:You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

-Brandon


Isn't the purpose of these forums to give out, share, and help each other discover "truth" and weed out myths and the rumors such as "this guy said blah blah blah" and he works for this pet store so it has to be right?

No.

Zaxtor99 wrote:I don't know about you, but "ALL" would seem to include the infared temperature gun that I purchased on Amazon, would you disagree with that?

Does your gun give accurate readings at 2 inches away or not?

Zaxtor99 wrote:Now the manufacturer of my gun has it written on the side of the gun that it can be used 18" away from the laser point. Why would the gun's own manufacturer put "B.S." about how to use the gun on their own product?

Zoomed also says it's recommended distance for the reptisun 10.0 tube is 20 inches away. But we know from testing with solar meters and through decades of experience that the actual optimal distance is 6-8 inches from the basking spot. See where I'm going with this or are you one of those people who can't make inferences and requires everything to be spelled out for them?

Zaxtor99 wrote:Now you say that it doesn't matter, that I am making a mountain out of a molehill. - Really?

You definitely are, as evident by your two Mount Everest-sized replies in this thread over someone giving a recommendation that won't hurt you either way.

Zaxtor99 wrote:I'm sure that some people might like the fact that they may not have to get the gun 2" from the spot they are trying to measure the temperature of

Really? Is it that much of a difference in effort to hold the gun 2 inches away as apposed to 12 inches away?

You yourself already said that shooting through glass or screen will skew the reading, which means you need to get your hand inside the tank anyways to measure.
If your hand is in the tank already, does it really make a difference to spend a split second to move your hand into position, 2 inches away?

Zaxtor99 wrote:Imagine someone short who might have to get a chair just to get up high enough to where they can get the gun down inside their reptiles cage just so they can get the gun a mere 2" from the laser point.

This is stupid.
If the person has that much trouble reaching into the tank that they can barely get their hand through the top of the tank because it is too high, then they also can't very well grab the dragon to take it out to bathe it, they can't very easily feed the dragon, or give it salad, they can't clean the poo either. So that most likely means that this person is not the primary care giver of the dragon if they can barely reach their fingertips into the tank. They will do just fine waiting for mommy or daddy to come around and measure the temp.

Zaxtor99 wrote:If I posted a new thread stating that such and such guy told me that "every beardie should eat a minimum of 15 marbles crushed to a fine powder for good health" and that is HAS to be correct because "he said so"... would someone who disputed that after 10 people said "oh okay thanks!" also be making a mountain of a molehill?

No one would respond to a thread like that, and it would be deleted quickly for obvious troll baiting. So your point is invalid.
Oh what, you can make up extreme hypothetical situations but I can't?

Zaxtor99 wrote:I think you see my point. Maybe it's meaningless to you, but I am sure that someone out there might be happy to know there is at least one infrared gun out there that doesn't require them to get their hand down inside their cage and be only two inches away to get an accurate temperature reading.

The only thing I see from you is that you are upset over something that has absolutely no effect over you. It doesn't hurt anyone else, it doesn't hurt you, get over it.

It would be like me getting mad at people who meditate to calm down because there are other ways to calm down. It doesn't hurt me that people meditate, it doesn't hurt the people that meditate, why don't I let the people meditate as it still reaches the same goal, relaxation - an accurate temperature reading.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16497
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby Zaxtor99 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 pm

{sigh}

Okay, you win.

A moderator here said that "Bob" said that ALL infrared laser guns must be exactly 2 inches away or the temperature reading will be erroneous. Not 2.5". And OMG, 3", that reading is completely flawed! - "Bob" said so.

So, when I use my infrared gun 18" away pointed at the the top of my rock in the tank and get 108.2 F, that is insanely inaccurate.

So now, wait.. let me measure the distance here. Oh yes... just a second now..

{uses a second hand to measure the distance from the tip of my infrared gun to the same spot on the rock}.

Ohhhh. a little closer, darn it... I was 2.3 inches away, SILLY me!

{moves gun closer, and re-measures the distance to get it right on 2 inches exactly}

{Reads gun temperature reading...}

Ohh wow, hmmm... 108.2 F.

Wow, I'm so happy I didn't read the instructions that came with my infrared gun, they don't know what the heck they are talking about! Thank GOD for "BOB"! :lol:

The irony here is that you tell me that I am making a mountain of a molehill. Hmmm, 108.2F and 108.2F ..EVERY gun has to be 2" away or it will be inaccurate! ..Gotcha! :wink:
Image
Zaxtor99
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Nampa, Idaho, USA

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Do what you like. I can promise you no one here cares whether or not you measure from 2 inches, or whether you measure from across the room.

The suggestion in this thread doesn't hurt (although it seems to hurt you) and for all you know, there could be quite a few guns out there that really are only accurate at this distance. So, seems like this thread does infact help people.

Unfortunately, we can't say the same about your posts in this thread.

Seeing as you disregarded all my points (most likely because you can't counter them) and made another horrendously nonsensical hypothetical situation, I can only infer that it's for the sole purpose of wanting to argue even though you have no more good points and can't counter the points put before you. So with that, I believe we are done here.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16497
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby Zaxtor99 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:03 am

claudiusx wrote:Does your gun give accurate readings at 2 inches away or not?

Yes, it does. But it also gives the same accurate readings from 4 inches away, from 6 inches away, and even from 15 inches away.

Now, let's take a closer look at the whole point of this debate between you and myself...

I am stating that the OP statement and and this thread is not 100% accurate. Let's take a look at the OP which I argue:

diamc wrote:Especially lately, I have noticed some posts where owners were holding the temperature guns an incorrect distance from the area they're checking temperatures on so I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread stating the exact distance that it should be held. Bob from http://www.reptileuv.com informed me of this distance when I was having some temperature issues when using one of his Megaray bulbs a while back, so I wanted to share this very important knowledge with other members.

He instructed me that the gun (no matter what brand or type you're using) should be held only 2" from the area you're checking. If it is held any closer or any further away than that, you're not getting an accurate reading.

Hopefully this will help clarify the correct way of measuring the temperatures.


Now, notice how it says that if ANY AND EVERY GUN is held closer or further away then 2" away, the reading is going to be inaccurate??

Now, can you explain to me how that is an accurate statement? Does the infrared gun I have not fit into the scope of EVERY INFRARED GUN, NO MATTER THE BRAND OR TYPE??

..And to answer your point, no his statement doesn't hurt me. However, it is still not accurate since it tells me that my gun at any closer or further away then exactly 2" away will be an inaccurate reading.

So, wouldn't you agree that users should follow their own infrared gun's instructions on how it specifically works rather then reading this thread and being scared that if they don't have their gun exactly 2" away, that their temperature reading will be flawed, when that is obviously not true in every situation with every gun, no matter the brand or type?
Image
Zaxtor99
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Nampa, Idaho, USA

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby claudiusx » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:56 am

Zaxtor99 wrote:So, wouldn't you agree that users should follow their own infrared gun's instructions on how it specifically works


No actually I wouldn't agree with that, and that is not just me being stubborn.

You already said your gun is just as accurate at 2 inches away as it is at the manufacturers recommendation.
Another source says that 2 inches away is ideal.

Thats two for two for 2 inches away.

And we also know that a lot of people wouldn't see the need to read directions on a thermometer.
There is also the possibility that a manufacturers recommendation is wrong, just like the Zoomed example I gave earlier.

So no, I don't think it would be better for this thread to be corrected.

2 inches away is a good general suggestion, no matter what. You even are basically agreeing with it, you're just throwing a hissy fit over how it is worded. Which is why I said you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16497
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby Zaxtor99 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:43 am

I'm not making a "hissy fit" lol, my point is that it is silly to say such a thing that the OP does as a rule all/be all of every situation and every infrared gun, just because "Bob" said so, especially when the gun I have makes that statement not factual.

It's like this...

Imagine an automobile forum and someone posting a thread stating that "Joe" from the Auto-Mechanics of America told him that "Every vehicle, regardless of make, model, or year should be filled every time with exactly 10 gallons of gasoline. If you put less then 10 gallons of gas or more in your car it will get vastly less fuel economy and not work well."

So, just because every car will run well if you put exactly 10 gallons of fuel in it DOESN'T make that statement true.

I have nothing against the OP of this thread. It is likely a good "rule of thumb" or perhaps a good "basic rule to go by", but it certainly isn't the ONLY rule for EVERY infrared gun. And temperatures taken at longer distances with every gun aren't always going to be "inaccurate" as it states in the original post. (OP)

..But I think you and I are just gonna have to agree to disagree here. You fail to see the point I am making and just keep accusing me of making a "hissy fit" and making ridiculous statements.

:D It's all good. We CAN disagree on this one. What's important here is that we both have the same end result in mind... taking the best care of the bearded dragons that we can.

- Peace bro.
Image
Zaxtor99
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:09 am
Location: Nampa, Idaho, USA

Re: Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Postby Jcdaniels2 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

:lol: Wheres a popcorn smiley when you need one :lol: I shall continue on with my reading :study:
User avatar
Jcdaniels2
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Enclosures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AbesUncle