Calcium Sand is the Devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azteacher

I did buy sand for my new beardie rescue, but it isn't Calci or Vita-sand... I hope he'll be okay with it. :/ He seems to love it, because his previous owner had NOTHING on the bottom of his cage, just plastic and feces. :/ If I shouldn't use sand, what substrate should I buy? He's a 2 year old.

OP I am so sorry for your loss. I got my first beardie from a pet store 9 days ago and had to give him back because he was sick. Pet stores are kind of the devil. :( The chains, anyway.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you have a uav light if not that could be the reason it did digeast it properly :?:

Actually, that's the problem, calci-sand can NOT be digested no matter what the temps are, instead, it hardens in their stomachs like cement making it impossible to pass.

azteacher

diamc":2h92hze3 said:
Did you have a uav light if not that could be the reason it did digeast it properly :?:

Actually, that's the problem, calci-sand can NOT be digested no matter what the temps are, instead, it hardens in their stomachs like cement making it impossible to pass.

Oh my god, that is so awful. :( Why do pet stores even SELL it then? :evil:

azteacher

diamc":3sve0yez said:
To make money. :( They also sell other products that are dangerous to them like compact & coil UVB bulb.
AND sell babies WAY TOO YOUNG. Being new to beardies, I found nothing wrong with it, assumed they were old enough, etc ... and I'm pretty sure he's not going to make it. :( (I gave him back and they're trying to save him.)

I only go there for non-dangerous items and get a little sad when I see the tiny beardies in their tank.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. You're right, they sell them way too young, some as young as a few days old. They should be at least 6 wks old before being sold.

Sand is VERY bad for a baby, any type of sand. Better substrates are NON-adhesive shelf liner, slate tile, reptile carpet, paper towels or newspaper.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
I was told Dargon was 6 weeks old when i got him. when i went out to an expo and saw the size of beardies that were actually 6 weeks old i now think he was closer to 3 weeks. he was so tiny. they also recommended sand. we went with paper towels until we got more information.
and now my mom has a beardie and she was told to use crushed walnut shells. which i think are also bad.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, crushed walnut shells are very bad, sharp like little pieces of glass so can cut them inside when they try to pass it. :( That should be taken off the market too.

Pet stores try to keep the babies small so they don't feed them like they're supposed to be fed or like we do. A lot of them don't have any UVB or not a good one so that stunts their growth. Also a lot of them use the incorrect thermometers so they're not eating or digesting the way they should be which also keeps them from eating less. So, all those things considered, a beardie that looks 3 wks old could actually be 6 wks old, so sad.

Oriheme

Juvie Member
This post still breaks my heart, I know bad advice. Boba Fett wouldn't have made it if I hadn't stepped in doing month of research before deciding to buy a bearded dragon. But I was looking at the dragon pictures posted and (sry to b a tad random) is it a leather back dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom