Surface temperature or air temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny16

Hello,

I am new here so hi!

I have just upgraded by bearded dragons tank to a 48inch by 24 inch by 24inch wooden vivarium and I am currently trying to get the temps just right.

As it stands the air temperature just above the basking spot is 113F and the ambient air temperature in the hot end is 87F. The cool end is 78F. It seems that my hot end is too hot and my cool end is too cool! :angry5:

My main question is though, should I be taking the temperature on the basking spot surface (i.e use my temperature gun to take that temp and work from their) or should I be using my probe and measuring the air temp just about the basking spot?

There are so many conflicting opinions and I just want to hear some advice from experienced people!

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
I typically measure a combination of air temps and surface temps. Air temps I worry about less than surface temps - as long as the air/surface temp on the cool side is 80 degrees or cooler, I generally consider that fine. The hot side I prefer the surface temp to be between 110 and 130, and if it's a wood product under the basking spot, they can get up to 140 without being hot enough to cause a burn. Air temps are typically 100 - 120, which is fine and honestly ideal in a large cage. I have a couple friends who have actually been to Australia and were fortunate enough to check the temps of wild beardies basking - they recorded the animals themselves at temperatures of 120 degrees F!

So while we think 120 degrees sounds extraordinarily hot, to be honest, as long as they have a nice cool side to escape to, that is a pretty great basking temp for them. They'll alternate as needed between the hot and cool side!

Lastly, watch your beardie - if it is always hugging the cold side and avoiding the hot side, it's probably too hot. If the beardie never moves from under the heat light, then that may be a sign that it can't get warm enough. Your beardie's behavior will help you figure out if your temps are where they should be!

-Jen

Sunny16

Original Poster
Hey thank you for such a comprehensive answer! So helpful!

I just have one question about your method, which is when you say you do a combination of both, do you take the air temp and the surface temp then take an average? Or do you set your surface temperature to a temp you are happy with and then take an air reading to make sure that is ok too?

I just want to check so I can make sure I am doing it right. My beardie is a rescue and he has had enough rubbish care for one lifetime! I want him to have the best life possible :D

Thanks once more for the advice!
Clare

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
I just check both, and make a decision based on both readings. If the surface temp is getting too hot but the air temp isn't, sometimes I'll decrease the wattage of the bulb and add a second basking bulb nearby - that usually increases ambient temps without increasing surface temps too much. I can't think of a time the air temp was higher than the surface temp, to be honest, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Pretty much I look at them as two separate bits of information describing the conditions the lizards are living in. :)

Glad I could help!

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom